Revisited

The following morning they were up early, packing up their things. Familiar as their worn packs were, they had been in Denerim for so long—and so many things had happened while they'd been there—that it felt strange to Una to think about being back on the road again.

Alistair seemed ready to go. He was quiet this morning, and thoughtful.

"Copper for your thoughts?" Una asked him.

"What?" He looked at her, clearly startled out of long thoughts. "Oh. Last night's nightmare. Just—I want this over with. The Archdemon ..."

Una nodded. Her nightmares were worsening as the Blight went on as well. "Let's go, then. The sooner we leave, the sooner we reach the horde."

Riordan had sent missives on his way south, following the path of the horde. His last one suggested that they were massing near Lothering and would be going on to Redcliffe. Una had directed the forces pledged to her to meet them there, and now it was high time she and Alistair and their team were on their way as well.

Most of their companions were waiting in the courtyard when they came downstairs; the only one missing was Oghren, who staggered out a few minutes later, glaring at the sun.

Arl Eamon was there to see them off, and Fergus, who had a pack over his shoulder.

"What do you think you're doing?" Una asked him.

"Going with you. You're going to need as many men as you can get."

"No."

"Excuse me?" His eyebrows flew up.

"You heard me. You're—you—I thought you were dead. I'm not leading you into battle and having that nightmare come true. Especially not against darkspawn. You were lucky to escape the taint the first time."

Fergus looked to Alistair. "Are you going to let her do this?"

Alistair nodded. "She makes a good point. Besides, if—should something happen to both of us ... well, someone's going to need to take the throne."

Arl Eamon looked between them. "Are you ... my dear boy, are you making a formal declaration?"

"Yes. Should I fall, Una Cousland is to be next in line of succession, and after her, her brother Fergus Cousland."

Fergus looked almost as stunned as Eamon. "In that case, Your Majesty, let me send along with you my heartfelt wishes for your safe return." He smiled and Alistair chuckled. Then, more seriously, Fergus said, "And you take care of my sister. She's all I have left."

"Same here." Alistair reached for his brother-in-law's hand, shaking it firmly. "I'll do my best."

"Good. Maker be with you." Fergus turned to his sister, taking her in his arms, holding her tightly. "Come home safe, pup. I can't lose you again."

"I promise." With some difficulty, Una pulled herself away from her brother, looking around at their companions. "We ready?"

Their assent was unanimous, and made her feel almost as though she was really ready to go into battle. With all of them with her, how could she not be?

Fergus knelt next to Grenli, hugging the dog, who licked his face eagerly.

Una looked at the two of them together. "Gren."

He woofed questioningly.

"You stay here, keep Fergus safe."

Both man and dog protested, but Una stood firm. Grenli had been through so many battles already—she wanted him safe in Denerim for this one. And that way, if anything happened to her, they would have each other.