Ceremony

Alistair found Una in the dining room, sitting over a long-cooled cup of tea, staring at the walls.

"I think they're gone," she said softly as he came in.

"Your parents?"

She nodded.

Alistair sat down next to her, reaching for her hand. "You think they were just waiting until you and Fergus could be reunited?"

"Maybe. Maybe so." Una smiled. "Maybe they think he can keep an eye on me now."

"Or that you can both keep an eye on each other. Your brother's been through a lot, too. He's going to need you."

Una frowned. "I'm ... not used to thinking of Fergus that way. He was always—just my big brother, you know?"

"Yes." Alistair thought of Arl Eamon, who he had thought of as being as close to a father as he was ever going to have ... and now was looking at as nothing more than a man, like any other. It was a strange adjustment to be making.

"What did you and my brother talk about?" Una asked.

"You."

She grinned. "Naturally. Did he tell you all sorts of horrible stories?"

"A couple." Alistair grinned back. "You really were a great deal of trouble, weren't you?"

"So they tell me."

"Listen, I have a question for you."

"All right." Una waited, raising an eyebrow, wondering what had him so serious all of a sudden.

Alistair got down on one knee next to her chair, reaching for her hand. "Will you marry me?"

She frowned at him, confused. "I thought I already agreed to that."

"Well ... I don't think I ever asked you formally before."

"Oh. In that case, yes. Definitely yes!"

"Good."

"Did Fergus give you his blessing?"

"Yes, but that's not what this is about, not really."

"Then what?"

"I want to marry you tonight, Una. I don't want to wait until after ... everything."

"But we can never get that all put together, not so soon!"

"Not ... not the big wedding, not for the Landsmeet or the country or anything. Just ... for us, so that ... so that we know. And so that ... in case anything should—happen—I want it to be official, that you are my wife. For the succession."

"Oh. I ... suppose I hadn't really considered that. I mean, I've felt as though—that moment in the Temple of Sacred Ashes, in front of Andraste ..."

"Yes. I felt that, too." Alistair's hand closed more firmly around hers, both of them thinking back to the silence of the Temple and the presence of Andraste, whether it had been real or imagined. "But—I want to think ahead and cover all the bases, you know?"

"Was this Fergus's idea?"

"Partly, yes. He urged me not to waste any time. But I've been thinking it, too. Marry me, Una. Tonight. Please."