Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

As they stood in front of the massive red door, Ryder turned to Pidifer and said, “Are you sure we can trust Gwendolyn?”

“Absolutely!” he replied. “Plus, she owes me a favor and I don’t know anyone else who can get you into that ball.”

Before they could say one more word, the door swung open and an extremely tall hunchbacked man cleared this throat. “How may I help you?”

Pidifer spoke up. “Please inform Lady Gwendolyn that Pidifer is here and wishes to speak with her.”

Without uttering another word, the man turned on his heel and promptly shut the door in their faces.

“He just slammed the door on us! Now what?” asked Lant.

Cridifer and Pidifer exchanged looks and smiled.

“It’s just the way of the nobility in Sumner,” Cridifer explained. “Give it a minute.”

After waiting what seemed like an eternity, the door swung open dramatically and a plump woman dripping in jewelry with fiery red hair emerged.

Bowing deeply, Pidifer said, “Lady Gwendolyn! It’s so lovely to see you!”

Gwendolyn smiled. “Pidifer! How long has it been?”

“Too long, much too long!” said Pidifer.

“Please, come in!” she said as she motioned for everyone to come through the door.

Ryder and his comrades squeezed past the boisterous woman and entered a large, ornately decorated room.

Ryder’s eyes scanned the room. A big crystal chandelier hung above their heads and portraits of men and women in elegant clothing adored every wall. He smirked and thought to himself, this place could give the MacIntyres a run for their money!

Interrupting his thoughts, Gwendolyn clapped her hands. Instantaneously, the tall hunchbacked and extremely thin doorman appeared. “Charleton, can you please prepare the sitting room?”

With a tight expression, the man simply nodded and disappeared down the hallway.

“So Pidifer, to what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?” asked Gwendolyn.

“Well, my lady, that is a complicated story. Perhaps one best told over a strong drink and a hot meal?”

She smiled and arched one of her eyebrows. “Very interesting.”

“The sitting room has been prepared, Lady Gwendolyn,” said Charleton from the end of the long hallway.

“Thank you, Charleton. Now please bring us a selection of spirits and tell Madsen to prepare dinner for our guests and myself.”

“As you wish,” he replied drily.

Gwendolyn motioned for her guests to follow her once again. “Come, come, follow me!”

“Wow,” murmured Albie.

Gwendolyn turned to him. “Pardon?”

“It’s just so beautiful, it reminds me of the décor inside the castle,” replied Albie.

Ryder didn’t know what the inside of the castle looked like, but everything in Gwendolyn’s house, from the plush furniture to the tapestries that were hanging from the wall, screamed immense wealth.

“Ah,” sighed Kroy as he sank into a large chair covered in light gray fabric.

“I could get used to this,” added Albie as he kicked his furry little legs onto a nearby footstool.