Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

“Are you coming or not?” whispered Ryder.

Through blinding tears, Alexia answered in a hushed voice, “I’m not backing out now. Let’s do this!”

They snuck through the woods to get a better look at Grishma, who had just dropped a body on top of one of the royal carriages, and then fled the scene.

Ryder and Alexia watched as two screaming girls fled the damaged carriage containing the body.

“There’s Brianna!” exclaimed Ryder.

Should I go after her? No, I have to kill Grishma first!

Algid rushed out of a nearby carriage with one of his guards at his heels. They raced toward the girls and the damaged carriage.

Ryder kept his eyes glued to Grishma, who stood back and patiently observed the scene unfold.

“They’re going to turn around,” mouthed Alexia.

Suddenly, a concerned looking Brooklyn emerged.

Ryder kept his eyes glued to Brianna and Brooklyn. He struggled to hear what they were saying, but he didn’t dare move any closer.

Thank Necoh they’re all right! Wow, Brooklyn looks so different!

After a short conversation, the girls turned and went back to Brooklyn’s carriage, while Algid and the guard got to work turning the carriages around. Luckily, the road was wide and unhitching and moving the horses didn’t take too much time. A few moments later, they were off.

“What are we going to do?” whispered Alexia.

Ryder’s mind raced. “I think we should follow Grishma. I don’t think she’s done with Brooklyn and Prince Algid.”

“Agreed,” said Alexia.

Sure enough, almost immediately after the carriage took off, Grishma followed at a safe distance.

Ryder and Alexia ducked behind trees and stepped through prickly bushes, all while trying to remain silent.

At one point, Grishma began to sprint. Ryder and Alexia broke into a brisk run, attempting to keep up.

They watched the vile monster approach Algid and one of his guards. Once again, the carriage came to a halt and Algid got off his horse to speak with Grishma.

Without warning, Grishma snuck a dart out and jabbed it into Algid’s neck. The prince stumbled and then regained his composure.

“What did Grishma just inject in Prince Algid’s neck?” asked Alexia.

“And why does he have that strange smile on his face?” added Ryder.

Walking up to his carriage with the dart still sticking out of his neck, he reached in and helped Brooklyn to the forest floor.

In the mean time, Grishma disappeared into the thick brush.

“I don’t like the looks of this,” said Alexia.

Ryder nodded. “Look, I’m going to finish Grishma once and for all tonight. Can you help get Brooklyn and Brianna to safety?”

“Yes, I can.”

Ryder looked solemnly at Alexia. “Good luck.”

“Same to you,” she replied.

Going their separate ways, Ryder followed Grishma and Alexia followed Brooklyn and Price Algid.