The Beginning

BETTY POV

Dear Diary,
My mom and therapist says it's a good idea for me to write in a journal. They say it should make me more relaxed. I doubt it! My name Elizabeth Cooper, but you can call me Betty.

I was born with Xeroderma Pigmentosum. Also known as XP. The doctors didn't think I would make it the first week of my life, but here I am! Just in case you don't know what Xeroderma Pigmentosum is, it basically means I'm allergic to the sun. If I'm even exposed to one little ray of it, I could possibly die. So much fun, right?!

From the time I was little, my best friend was my sister Polly and my brother Chic. By the way, they can walk in the sun. Anyways, it was really lonely during the day because my mom and dad were always at work. I was left with my grandmother and when I was 9-years old, she passed away. My grandma had a huge impact on my life. She was my best friend. I couldn't go to the funeral...for obvious reasons.

My mom decided to call some of her old friends and got me new friends. Veronica Lodge, The classic sassy rich girl. Kevin Keller, The gay best friend. And Archie Andrews, The Boy-next-Door. They hung out with me on weekend and weeknights. It didn't get so lonely anymore.

At 14-years old, my dad passed away. He was really sick with leukemia. I couldn't go to the funeral, so I just cried at home. It was lonely without him too. But I had my other family members to comfort me.

Another detail about me, you're probably wondering how I've survived at home and my natural day life, here it is: There are sunlight-proof windows that we have all around the house. Every window is sunlight proof. When I had to stay home, I wrote poems and taught myself how to cook. That's pretty much it.

Now I'm 17-years old. I have yet to do many things I've wanted to do. I don't know how I'm going to survive the next 70 years? My mom will probably have someone in my family take care of me until the day I die. My dream is to travel all around the world and journal my adventures. I want to see a waterfall and feel the warm sunlight on my skin. But I can't, maybe there will one day be a cure.

YOURS, BETTY
——————————————————————
WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS STORY? DO YOU WANT ME TO CONTINUE?