Maybe or Maybe Not

BETTY POV

The next morning, my family took me to see Dr. Patel and get scans. After I had ran inside yesterday, I noticed that I had mark on my skin. One that you'd get from being in the sun. In case this ever happened, I'd go to the doctor ASAP. This morning was the soonest Dr. Patel could though.

I laid in a hospital gown on the hospital bed getting a scan done. My family stood beside me and I felt my heart race getting this done.

"Ok, please sit up Elizabeth. Your scan is complete." Dr. Patel said. I sat up and he sighed.

"Is it bad?" Mom asked.

"Um...Elizabeth, would you like to go sit in the other room?"

"No, I want to stay here." I nodded. I looked at mom she nodded.

"Alright, so I just need to know really quick...how long do you think you were probably in the sun?"

"Less than 20 seconds, probably even less than that." I said.

"Ok, that's good. The less time in the sun, the better. The bad news is that just because it's small, doesn't mean that it hasn't done something. We don't know if it's a triggering event yet."

"And if it was?" Polly shrugged.

"We'll think about that when the test results come back. Until then, stay out of the sun and rest. You can still go out at night if you want. Just be careful." Dr. Patel said and he stood up. I grabbed my clothes and went into the bathroom to change. I looked at the mark that looked like scrape on my arm. It hurt to touch it. I got my clothes on and we went home. I ran to my room and cried. It hurt so much...not the XP. The fact that Jughead probably hated me. I freaked him out and now he blames me.

I sat in my room sobbing and then Veronica came in my room. She sat on the bed and I rested my head on her shoulder.

"V, everything is terrible. I don't even know what to do anymore." I cried.

"Don't say that...hey, you just got a text from Jughead." Veronica said a grabbed my phone.

"What did he say?" I asked wiping my tears.

JJ: Hey Betts, can we talk?

"What do you want me to say?" Veronica asked.

"Delete his contact and the messages."

"B-"

"If I reply, then we're gonna actually talk. We all know that he's going to get hurt and I don't want it to be because of me. Please Veronica, just delete his contact and the messages!" I cried out. Veronica deleted everything and she sighed.

"So what, you're just gonna give up on him? You're gonna give up on your happiness?"

"It's the only thing I can do. If the test results come back, and I have skin cancer...there is nothing I can do about it."

"Maybe not...but you can't spend the time you'd have left sulking. You need to be a normal teenager and party or do what you want to do!"

"What I want to do? What I want to do is walk in the sun and not have a chance of dying. But I  can't have that! I want to have my grandma and dad next to me right now, but I can't have that! I want Jughead here to hold me and tell me everything will be ok, but can't let him get hurt! Everything is imploding and there's nothing I can about it." I sobbed.

"B, can I talk to Jughead?"

"Sure, but don't let it be about me. If you want to see him you better not talk about me."

"Ok." Veronica said. She then left and I continued to cry. I didn't feel good, at all. My head hurt and guilt consumed me. I just needed to sleep and forget everything.