Lab Results

ALICE POV

I cut up the vegetables in the kitchen for the Stu I was making. It was Betty's favorite meal. I then got a call from Dr. Patel.

"Hello, is this Alice Cooper?"

"This is she."

"Hi, my name is Wendy with Riverdale General Hospital. I just wanted to let you know that Elizabeth Cooper's lab results just got in."

"Yeah, and what do they say?"

"Dr. Patel would like to talk to you in person. He wants to know if you would go to his office so you guys talk. Maybe in 30 minutes?"

"That's perfect. Thank you." I said and I hung up. I called Polly down and asked her to finish cutting up the vegetables and making the Stu. I got my purse and I went to my car. I drove to the hospital as fast as I could and I got there. I went to Dr. Patel's office and I automatically sat down.

"Dr. Patel, tell me about her lab results!"

"I don't know how to say this...Betty has stage 1 skin cancer. It's come to quick." Dr. Patel sighed. I felt my heart sink and I got teary-eyed.

"W-we put her on medication or something, right?" I asked.

"Her Brain has already began to come together with the cancer. There's nothing we can do about it now. Betty-"

"I'm going to lose my little girl. Aren't I?" I said beginning to cry. He nodded and she took a seat.

"Hal and I knew from the time she was born that everyday was a miracle. You and the doctors didn't think she would make it the first week of her life. Here we are, 17-years later. You were right, I was gonna lose her one day. I just always thought it was gonna be when she was like, 40 or something. But she's 17, and getting ready to lose her life. No matter how much she begged or cried, I didn't let her go outside. I wouldn't let her ride her bike or go to the park! Things that she had the right to do!"

"She's stayed so positive through her life. I never knew anyone who could smile through her pain. I never asked...how was she exposed?"

"Her boyfriend kept her out too late and on her way home, she was exposed. I need to go, my kids are waiting for me and I need to see Betty."

"Of course, have a nice day."

I got in the car and drove home. All of the kids were on the couch watching TV. I went over and turned the TV off.

"Mom! What the heck!" Polly yelled.

"I need to talk to you guys about something."

"Make it quick! Charolette from 'Charolette's Web' just died!" Chic yelled.

"Betty I just got back from looking at you lab results...it was a triggering moment." I said. Betty nodded and stood up.

"Mom, it's ok! Everything is going to stay the same for now. I just need the last months of my life, to be relaxing. Let's finish the movie and have a wonderful night." Betty said and sat back down. We played the movie and had fun. When Betty went to bed, that's when we all began to cry. We were going to lose our little light in this house, and there was nothing we could do about it. If only there was a midnight sun.