~Wingwoman {Modern AU}~

"Sorry to come on such short notice, but you know how much I trust you. And I wouldn't come to you like this if it wasn't extremely important. "

  Alex stood in the middle of the pastel yellow bedroom, decked out with a fluffy carpet and bean bag chair, movie and music posters, and Disney figurines. It was certainly an interesting place to be looking for help, but the owner of the room was definitely an interesting person. 

  "What is it this time, peasant?" Peggy asked pompously. She lounged regally on her bed, not looking up from her hands as she daintily applied yellow nail polish. 

  Alex shifted nervously, but spoke with confidence. "I wanna do it. I wanna ask your sister out."

  Peggy gasped before giving Alex a disdainful glare. "Alex! I have been unabashedly shipping you with my sister forever! You can't possibly go and ask Angelica out now!" 

  Alex rolled his eyes. "Not her. The other Schuyler sister." 

  "Alexander, you dog. We're friends and all, but don't even think about asking me out." 

  If Alex wasn't so desperate, he would have left right there. "No! The other-other Schuyler sister."

  Peggy looked confused. Gently counting on her freshly polished fingers, she murmured, "Let's see... Angelica, Peggy..."

  "Eliza."

  "WORK!" 

  Alex whacked his forehead with his palm. "Enough jokes, Peggs. Eliza... she's amazing and... I really like her. I wanna finally make a move, but I have no idea what to do." 

  "Interesting," said Peggy, inspecting her nails. "I mean, my ship will finally be sailing, but what else are you going to give me in return?"

  "I won't tell John Laurens that you have a major crush on him." 

  Peggy almost fell off her bed but recovered gracefully. "Why would you possibly assume that?"

  Alex pointed across the room to Peggy's vanity, where sticky notes reading PS + JL = ❤︎ and other similar messages were adorning the mirror. 

  Peggy's face went pale, but her expression remained poised. "Fair enough. Hey, can I see your phone for a minute?"

  "Sure," Alex slid his phone out of his pocket and handed it to Peggy. "Now, I can't just rush into this. Women are like working with dangerous chemicals. If I mess this up, it could end in painful disaster.

  Without warning, Peggy threw his phone across the room and onto her fluffy bean bag chair.

  "Done."

  All the color drained out of Alex's face. "What did you-?" He threw himself onto the chair and checked his recent texts. To his anxiety, there was Eliza's name.

ALEX: Hey Liza can you help me with my French homework?

ELIZA: Sure! What can I do?

ALEX: What does this mean?

ALEX: "Je vous aime bien." 

ELIZA: Well you came to the right person. I'm fluent in French :) 

ELIZA: "I like you."

ALEX: I like you too. How about dinner on Saturday 

  "WHAT DID YOU DO?!" Alex shrieked, dropping his phone in sheer horror. 

  "A favor. Your welcome," Peggy said, blowing on her nails as she reclined back on her bed.