~I'm Not a Babysitter (Hamilkids) {Modern AU}~

Cartoons blared on the TV as Philip sat on the living room floor, contentedly eating a bowl of Lucky Charms. Sometimes a guy just needed to treat himself, and that was just what Saturday mornings were made for. The confines of fourth grade were behind him, and he had the freedom to spend today however he wanted. He had slept late, and now he was enjoying sugary cereal and his favorite cartoons, experiencing true living.

  As he was captivated by the program, Eliza came and sat on the couch behind him, affectionately running her fingers through his curls.

  "Enjoying your show?" she ask.

  "Uh huh," he mumbled before taking another spoonful of cereal. "Hey, Mom, can Theo come over today?"

  "Oh, not today," she replied. Philip could have sworn he heard the sound of a record scratching in his brain. "That's what I came to talk to you about, actually... You know my friend, Miss Maria?" 

  Philip recalled the quiet woman who Eliza had recently become friends with. No adult would tell him why, but she seemed to be going through a rough time, and Eliza liked to give her support whenever she could, inviting her out or bringing her a casserole. 

  "Well, she's going to a very important meeting today, and we're going to watch her daughter, Susan. She's five years old and very sweet-"

  Philip couldn't let her finish. His plans for the day were shattered. "Aww, Mom!" he cried. "I don't want some little kid here! Can't I just go to Theo's house?"

  "No, I need you to play with Susan," Eliza said with a shake of her head. "Come on. It'll only be for a few hours. It won't be bad at all."

  "I'm not a babysitter!" Philip argued. Agitated, he threw his head back onto the couch, wondering how his mother could possibly do this to him. He had not spent all week in school to spend his weekend working. And besides, nine-year-old boys did not play with five-year-old girls. Everyone knew that. 

  "Just a few hours, and I'll even bake cookies," Eliza prompted. "How does that sound?"

  Still pouting, Philip didn't meet his mother's eyes, but he could never turn down the offer of her baking. "Fine."

  Soon the living room was filled with Tinker Toys, picture books, and other toys Philip hadn't played with since he was little. "She'll be here soon," Eliza told him. "She's a little shy, but just be nice. And remember to smile." Philip's face had been stuck in a glower ever since Eliza told him of the plans for the day. 

  "I mean it," Eliza said, her voice growing stern. "Be nice. And Daddy's in his office working, so please try to keep it down. He's very stressed out." 

  Suddenly, the sound of a doorbell chimed through the house, and Eliza hastened to get the door.

  "Maria, hi!"

  Stepping inside was a petite woman with thick, dark hair framing her tan face, almost like it was trying to hide her. She had a smile on, but Philip thought she looked weary. As Eliza hugged her and the two women talked, a little girl who bore a striking resemblance to Maria peeked out from behind her. 

  "Hi, Susan, how are you, sweetie?" Eliza said to the little girl, crouching down and smiling kindly at her. Susan didn't answer but hugged Maria's legs and hid her face again. 

  Maria turned around and held her daughter close. "I'll see you in a little bit, Susan," she said softly. Her voice was scarcely above a whisper. "You're going to have a lot of fun here, okay? I love you."

  Susan cried out for her mother as Maria thanked Eliza again and disappeared out the door. Babysitting officially began. 

  "Oh, Susan, it's going to be okay," Eliza soothed, reaching forward to play with Susan's hair like she did with Philip. For some reason, that made him angry. That was his mother's thing to do with him, not Susan. Already, he didn't like having her here. It brought him joy to see Susan pull away sharply from Eliza's touch.