Chapter 9 - Dark Powers

I ran around the block, and was thankful to not hear anyone behind me. The only people who knew about what was happening were Jon and Seb, and I'm glad they held everyone else back. I just wish they don't tell them what is happening...

There was one big thing I hadn't told Jace, Isabelle, Alec, Simon, and even Magnus, because this had happened after we left him. The first time this happened was one year ago. Me and Jon had let 12-year-old Seb come with us demon hunting.

We had followed our sensors to an abandoned alley, but when we looked around there was no one there. Then something grabbed me from behind, and before I knew what was happening I was on the other side of the long alley, a black-skinned demon arm holding me above the ground by my hair. In a millisecond it's mouth was on my neck, biting me. I screamed. At the sound Jon and Seb turned, and once they saw ran towards me. The pain was excruciating, and I was about to pass out before the demon started whispering to me in demon language.

I didn't know what he was saying, but then he dropped me on the ground. I lay there, unmoving, as the demon dissapeared and Jon and Seb ran towards me, dropping to their knees next to me. I felt hands picking me up, but I just stared blankly up. I couldn't move, I couldn't hear. something felt like it was growing inside me, until it swallowed me up.

I suddenly thrashed. "Let me go!" I snarled, jumping out of Jon's arms. I viciously whipped out a knife and threw it at Jon. It hit his shoulder, but I felt to remorse. It was like my mind had turned cruel, mad, evil. A look of hurt and confusion were on their faces.

I shuddered at the memory as I took out a stele and started drawing a portal on the alley wall. That night I had run away from Seb and Jon, and killed over a dozen mundanes, and about two dozen Downworlders. The whole time it was as if I had no control over my actions, but if was as if I wanted to do that. My mind had turned evil. 

I had woken in an alley, covered in blood. I had trudged my way back to our house, only to be met by a very worried and cautious Jon and Seb. I had told them everything, but we hadn't told Sera and Val. We wanted to protect them from whatever had just happened. 

Since then, I have turned evil about once every three months. Every time that it has happened, I draw a rune right before. An evil rune. I've drawn one for making knives come out of my hands, controlling demons, and death. The one I just made was for making demonic weapons. After I draw a rune, five minutes later I go evil. Then I can't control it, but I can turn evil anytime if I want to. And it happens if I get really mad. I killed so many people my first couple times, so now I am prepared.

I hop through my portal to some abandoned forest in Europe, no one is around for hundreds of miles. Just then I start trembling, and the darkness starts creeping up my legs and spine, swallowing me up, making my eyes black.

Jon P.O.V.

After Clary ran out, I stood up immediately. "Shit." I said. Clary was turning evil again. The first few times it happened, I would never admit it, but I had been scared to death. Clary's eyes had turned black and she'd acted like an animal. She was out of control.

I turn to Seb. "It's happening." I whispered to him, but I knew everyone else could hear. 

His eyes widened. "Shit." He said, repeating my reaction.

"What's happening?" Said Jace, who was also standing up.

I hesitated. "If Clary wants to tell you what's happening, she can when she gets back. But we aren't going to tell you because I doubt she wants us too."

"Jon, Seb." Sera said, staring at us, Val right next to her. "What did you and Clare not tell us? What's happening?"

"I'm sorry." I said looking at the floor. "We wanted to spare you from it. But we'll tell you when she gets back."

"How long will that take?" Isabelle asked. 

"Probably a few hours. Six at most." That was the longest it has ever lasted.

"Six hours?" Magnus said. "What could possibly take six hours?"

"This." I said emotionlessly.

"Okay can someone please explain what the hell is going on?" The boy, Simon, asked. 

So his friends started explaining our life story to him as I stared out the window, willing her to come back alright.

Clary P.O.V.

I woke up under a canopy of trees, my eyes peeling open. I looked down at myself, seeing I was covered in blood. I shuddered as I remembered what happened. Some family had been camping close by and once the darkness had taken control of me, I had slaughtered them. I also vaguely remember killing a bear and a few deer.

I tried to wipe the blood off of my face and hair, but it was no use. I sighed and took out my stele, ready to make a portal. I jumped through into the same alley that I had jumped into, and started back to the house.

I was nervous as I approached it. Were the others still here? I'm sure it had been about five hours. The sun was just starting to set, and I pray that only my family is still in the house. As I open the door, I see I am not that lucky.

My whole family, plus Jace, Isabelle, Alec, Simon and Magnus, were still in the living room. They had broken off their conversations mid-sentence, staring at me, where I stood in the doorway, covered in blood. I shifted awkwardly. "Hi guys..." I said.

"Clary, what happened?" Jon asked. "Didn't you go to that forest in Europe?"

"I did." I said, slowly nodding, my face expressionless. "I'm going to go take a shower."

I moved to the staircase, but Jace suddenly stood in front of me. "Tell us what the hell is going on." Jace demanded.

"Why do I have to?" I snapped, my anger slowly rising. "You have no right to tell me what to do!" Then I shoved past him, containing myself from ripping him apart, piece by piece.

I ran into my room, quickly grabbing a black shirt and leggings. I ran into the bathroom, and stripped, getting into the shower. I felt a little bit of piece as the warm water ran down me, washing off the blood, but not much. Once I was done I jumped out and put my clothes back on, putting on my black booties and reapplying my makeup. I threw my hair into a ponytail, and walked down the hall.

I walked down the stairs, and once again everyone was still in the living room, and when they saw me their conversations stopped. 

I headed straight for the kitchen, and I heard footsteps behind me. 

I grabbed ingredients, planning on making burritos for dinner. As I took out a pan, they were all in the kitchen, staring at me. I placed the pan on the table and sighed. "I suppose you want to know what happened?" I said, glaring at all of them.

They didn't say anything, so I continued. "But besides Sera and Val, I don't see how its any of your business. However, if you can say one good reason why I should tell you, then I will." I went into the cupboard and took out a can of beans, and opened it, pouring it into a bowl. Sera silently came to help me, grabbing some cheese and tomatoes from the fridge. I didn't stop her, I could use the help and she was a much better cook than me.

They were all still silent, pondering on one good reason. The only sound was me chopping a tomato.

After minutes, Jace finally broke the silence. "Because we want to be your friends." He said. I stared at him emotionlessly. "You've been alone all of your lives, but that can be changed. You can tell us secrets, and we won't tell anybody. We want to be friends."

I stared into Jace's golden eyes, and I felt like I was looking into his soul. There was no humor or jokes in what he said, he meant it. 

Finally, I looked back down to my tomato. "Do you guys want to stay for dinner? There's not much, but its something and we can talk."