Chapter 18: It's Quiet Uptown

The sun was going down over the garden of their house which Magnus had bought for them. He knew it would be better to take Alec away for a bit so he moved uptown to a corner of the city. It was quiet there. He never really liked the quiet but he enjoyed spending his time with Alec and having peace and quiet. But his boyfriend still wasn't speaking or smiling. It was as if his voice died.

Magnus helped Alec up. "Let's take another walk, darling." He took Alec's arm and they left their garden to walk alongside a river.

While they were walking the warlock saw a flower and picked it. "Look, it's a Daphne. Did you know it's supposed to bring smiles and joy. Maybe it can bring your smile back." He carefully put the flower in his love's hair.

Alec didn't answer.

Magnus just smiled and gave him a kiss on the cheeks. "Let's continue walking." They strolled along the river. The warlock never let go of the other's arm staying by his side.

As they sun was fully gone and the stars were shining he stopped. "Look, the stars are out." He pointed upwards. "There's your favorite constellation!" He smiled and cuddled with his boyfriend's arm.

Alec didn't say anything.

"Well, it's getting late. You must be starving." The warlock led them back to their little house. "You can sit down at the table, honey. I'll just magic us something to eat."

As he got ready he got a text from Jace. He texted him regularly to check in on Alec. The shadowhunter knew that things weren't going great since he felt his Parabatai slowly fade away.

He followed up with the usually text staring that nothing really changed but that he should come and visit them again.

After he sat the plates down he himself sat down. "I made your favorite food."

They both ate and as they finished Magnus started talking again. "Madzie misses you. She would like to talk to you again." He took the other's hand. "Maybe think about it a bit. Let's sit outside for a while."

The two sat down on the porch outside of their house. "Alexander, do you like it uptown. It's quiet uptown." He put his arm around the other and slowly stroked it. Every time he talked to his boyfriend he knew that he wouldn't get an answer. It has been weeks without him talking. But he wouldn't give up on him.

They spent hours in the garden with Magnus just talking to him telling him stories. "Let's go to sleep." He stood up and the two went into their bedroom.

Alec lied down on his side facing the wall. The warlock then just hugged him from the behind. "I love you, Alexander. Sleep well."

The next day after they had breakfast they sat in the living room as someone rang the doorbell. "I'm going to look who it is."

As Magnus opened the door Jace and Clary were standing in front of him. "Hey, we wanted to see Alec. Sorry I should have called first."

The warlock beamed. "No worries, biscuit. I'm glad you visited. Come in." He opened the door wider to let them in. Clary went up to Alex and hugged him. "Hey, I've missed you. We all do." She continued to just sit down next to him.

Jace stayed with Magnus for a while. "Thank you again for taking such good care of him. I know it must be hard." He hugged him for a second. "We thought we could chime in again. He's not doing better is he?"

The warlock said nothing as the truth will always be too unbearable to speak. He was scared that his love would maybe never get better. That he would never see the other's smile again. His smile that he loved so much.

Jace understood and went over to Alec as well. "Hey there buddy." He hugged him tightly for a minute and then just sat down next to him as well. Isabelle's death was still hard for him to handle as well.

But Alec and Isabelle always shared an extremely close bond. They were very protective over each other. He always was one of the best things in her life and so was she for him. So it was obvious that Alec would take this hard.

The four if them talked to each other for a bit until Magnus got a call. "Sorry but I gotta leave you guys for a bit." He stood up and went out of hearing distance.

As he picked up he was delighted to hear Catherina's voice. She was one of his oldest friends.

Catherina needed to ask the other for a favour as she needed him to watch Madzie for a bit.

"I would love to but Alec's still not doing better. I don't know if this is such a good idea."

"I know. But I wouldn't ask you if I had other options, please."

"Okay you can send her over." Magnus wasn't sure about this whole ordeal but Madzie was a good kid so she wouldn't make any problems.

After he hung up he made his way back to the others. "Sorry guys."

Clary and Jace got up said their goodbyes and left.

Magnus just smiled at his boyfriend. "Madzie will come and join us later. But let's go out in the garden for now."

The two went to sit down on their porch again. "Alexander, I might not know  the challenges you, we are facing. I know there's no replacing what you’ve lost and you need time. But just stay here by my side and think about all the other people you have in your life. Think about all the great things that can still happen." The warlock kissed his cheek and proceeded to hold his hand.

As the doorbell rand they went back inside. Magnus opened the front door. Catherina had a back in her hand and next to her was Madzie.

The girl hugged them being happy to see them again as she noticed Alec's behaviour.

As Magnus noticed that he spoke up. "Alexander is feeling a little under the weather. Don't worry." He tried to play it off. "How about I get you some ice cream while me and Catherina talk a bit?"

After he had magiced Madzie some ice cream he went back to Catherina and Alec. Catherina was talking to him until she noticed Magnus. "He really took it hard, huh?"

The cat eyed warlock looked at her as tears filled his eyes. He took her away for a while while Alec just sat there.

"I can't loose him, Catherina. But it's like he himself died. It's so hard. I just want him to speak and feel again. I want to see his smile again." Tears rolled down his cheeks.

His friend hugged him tightly. "Hey, it will be alright. He just needs time."

After the two talked a bit about everything and anything. Then she left.

Magnus got back to Madzie and tucked her into bed. "Goodnight, sweetpea." He gave her a kiss on her forehead and made a magic night light.

"Can Alec read me a bedtime story again tomorrow?" Madzie smiled at the other.

"I don't know, sweet pea. We'll see how he's feeling tomorrow." Even though he was lying Madzie believed him. So he left returning to the living room to get back to his boyfriend. But he wasn't there which made the warlock worry.

As he began to search for him he found him standing in the garden. It was the first time he moved alone for something else than the toilet.

"Alexander?" Magnus put his hand on the other's shoulder who was kind of shaking. "Is everything alright?"

The shadowhunter turned around. Magnus was utterly surprised as he saw tears rolling down his cheeks. But was even more surprising was that he heard something he was afraid to never hear again Alec's voice.

"It's quiet uptown." The shadowhunter gave him a weak smile as he continued to cry.

Without thinking Magnus hugged him and pulled him close not letting go. "I love you, Alexander." He was ecstatic to see his boyfriend like that again.

"I love you, too."