Ch. 4 The Feast

I entered the great hall spotting Harry and Ron. I headed straight for them pausing.

"I'm not helping you trick her anymore," I snapped as Harry looked confused and Ron seemed angry.

"Why the bloody hell not?!" Ron demanded as my eyes widened at his language.

"She's kind and doesn't deserve to be tricked over your desire to use magic," I responded harshly.

"Kind!" Harry gasped before showing me his hand where I saw a phrase scratched into his hand. "She made me write with a quill that did that."

"I'm sorry but I won't," I said simply before walking over to the Slytherin table. I sat down trying to mask the frustrated tears that had pooled in my blue eyes. Draco moves seats sitting beside me.

"Are you okay Isabelle?" He asked as I sighed.

"I'm perfect," I said tightly. "I just had a disagreement with Harry and Ron is all. It's not a big deal."

"You're upset. What did they say to you?" Draco asked me.

"You have to promise me you won't get them in trouble Draco," I said as he frowned but reluctantly nodded. "They asked me to keep Umbridge busy while they had some super secret dueling club. I did once and then told them I wouldn't do it again because Umbridge is too nice to deserve that."

"I take it Ron and Harry got mad at you. That's not okay. You are a first year they shouldn't encourage you to break the rules," Draco said as I looked down. I knew Draco was right but I still refused to report Harry and Ron. I ate the food quickly wanting to leave the great hall as fast as possible. I finished my food getting up leaving the room. I headed towards the common room only for Umbridge to stop me in the hallway.

"Miss Isabelle. I spoke with Dumbledore about you coming with me over the holidays and he has agreed to allow you to go with me. We leave tomorrow," she said as I smiled.

"Thank you Professor," I smiled at her. I paused before looking up at her. "I don't have anything to wear."

"Don't worry about your attire I'll transfigure a few outfits for you," she said as I nodded. I rushed to my room to grab a small bag to put the few items I planned to bring in. I packed some books and a couple outfits but that was all I packed. I flopped onto my bed allowed myself to drift to sleep. I woke early the next morning grabbing my bag and wand before heading to Umbridge's office. I knocked waiting patiently for her to invite me in. She pulled the door open with a grin.

"We are swinging by my place to get ready and then we are heading to the first of many parties," she said taking my hand walking to the floo network. We arrived at her house where she showed me the guest room. She opened the closet as my jaw dropped. She has several dresses for me to wear. "Get changed and I'll fix your hair."

"Thank you so much Professor," I said firmly giving her a smile before she left me to find an outfit. I gripped a soft pink dress with white lace on the bodice. I pulled the ballgown on before locating Professor Umbridge. She grinned at me looking at my dress choice.

"Nice choice," she said before waving her wand. My hair was pulled up in a messy updo with a diamond hair clip keeping my hair up. "Ready?" My heart raced as she mentioned leaving. I had never been to a formal function before so I was nervous.

"What if I make a fool of myself?" I asked as she frowned looking into my blue eyes.

"You won't. Trust me you'll fit in nicely," she said before taking my hand. She apperated us to the Zabini manor where the ball was taking place. I took a shaky breath before following Umbridge around. Most of the wizards I met were nice and then came the Malfoys with Draco beside his parents. Narcissa looked at me with slight confusion knowing I hadn't been invited technically.

"Cissy, Lucius. This is Isabelle. She is one of my best students and I decided she would attend a few parties with me," Umbridge said as Narcissa plastered a smile on her lips. I could tell her entire demeanor was false and masking a brokenness she felt inside.

"We've met before," I said with a soft smile remembering the less than friendly meeting before I turned my attention to Draco. "Hi Draco."

"Hey Isa, glad to see you aren't stuck at Hogwarts with the blood traitors," Draco said bluntly. I flinched at the word but didn't say anything about what he called the trio of Gryffindors.

"I'm glad to be here. I've never attended a party like this before but I've been having a good time," I replied calmly.

"Care to dance?" He asked me as I nodded. I took his hand as we walked away from the adults. I didn't know much about dancing but Draco helped a lot and we managed to dance gracefully around the room. I grinned as we danced enjoying the feeling of fitting into the room I was currently in. I felt more at ease here than I did with the Weasleys. Here I felt safe and like I mattered. Even though most in the room knew I very likely could be a halfblood or even a muggleborn they still treated me kindly.

"Do you come to parties often?" I asked as he nodded.

"Every year the same old parties the only good thing this year is you are here," he said as I smiled widely.

"Thanks. I'm glad you're here or the only person I would know would be Umbridge," I said with a laugh.

"Well then we both can help each other not be bored out of our minds," Draco said before leading me over to the punch. I sipped on a glass of Butterbeer while Draco and I continued to converse.

"Do you think the golden trio will ever stop asking me to break the rules?" I asked as Draco scoffed.

"Please, that's all they do," he said bluntly. I nodded in agreement. We didn't speak much longer before Umbridge located me telling me it was time to head back to her house. I gave Draco a quick hug before I took Umbridge's hand. She apperated us to her home and I headed right up to bed curling up with a smile still present on my face.