Part 8

“Hello girl….” my mom says and hugs me firmly. “How are you? Everything fine at the office” she asks as we enter the living room. “Sit down. You want some coffee?” I take a seat on one of the chairs.

“No, mom, could you just sit down, I need to tell you something” I let her know. “What´s up – is anything wrong? Tell me Judy” she says, as she might have recognized my worried face. “Listen mom. I met a wonderful man. And I think – no, I know – that I am in love with him.” I start.

“But honey, that´s a good thing, isn´t it? I am so happy for you! So why this sad face then?” she asks. I get up and sit down next to her on the couch.  “Mom – Chris…. he was engaged when we met.” The smile on her face disappears.

“Judy… no...” she starts. “Mom, let me explain this, okay… I know what you might think about that. I know, because I know how you felt when dad left you because of that other woman. Okay? I know it, and I swore myself I would never - never – fall for a man that is already taken. But when I met Chris, it was… I wouldn´t call it love at first sight… but we just found out that we have feelings for each other… and he wasn´t happy in his relationship. He told me that. All his friends were telling me that.”

God, please, let her understand this; let her know that my feelings for Chris are true…  “Who is this guy?” she asks me as she gets up. She walks through the room, than looks at me, her arms folded in front of her chest.

“He is… Chris Evans… uhm… the actor.” “Judy! What were you thinking? Someone like him, an actor… you know how these guys are… you´re probably not the first one he is cheating on his fianceé with…”

“Mom, no! It´s not like this at all! You hear me? We love each other! We really do! And he is really wonderful… mom, he really makes me happy… please, I want you to be happy for me… for me and Chris!” I tell her, with tears in my eyes. My mother stares at me. Finally, she says: “Did he break up with his fianceé? Is this over?” she asks. I just nod. “Come here” she opens her arms and I let hug me. “I want you to be happy, okay? But please make sure he´s honest to you, you hear me?”

“Thank you mom” I whisper. “I didn´t mean to hurt you with that. I don´t want you to think that I am a homewrecker or something like that. We really love each other. And I want you to meet him” I let her know.

“It´s okay Judy. Don´t you worry about that. You know what, just bring him over for dinner, and we´ll all have a little chat. I am sure, if you like him, I will like him as well.” She smiles at me. “You will… I am so sure of that” I say and give her a smile back.

 TWO DAYS LATER

Chris is coming back from New York today. I can´t wait to see him – my thoughts are with him from the very first moment I am awake, and he´s my last thought when I go to bed at night. I think I still haven´t realized that we are together now. Chris and me – I am so happy, and now that my mum knows about him, I feel even better. I can´t wait to tell him and I can´t wait for my mum to meet him. I am so sure she´ll like him…

I am leaving the office and head to a little wine store. I wanna cook for Chris tonight and I want it all to be perfect. But on my way, I catch sight of a magazine at a newsstand – that´s chris, Sam – and a horrible picture of me in the middle. I am wearing a track suit and I look like I got straight out of bed. I begin to shiver. I grab the magazine and read the headline – “Chris splits with Sam for THIS girl!” it says. For “THIS GIRL”??? What the fuck… I buy it, and the woman at the cash desk gives me a strange look. “What?” I bawl at her, and she just shakes her head. Forget the wine. Forget dinner. I head home and read the article to that headline.