Part 11

BACK TO WORK

As I enter the building, my heart is racing. I bet they all know, they all read the article and I don´t know what to expect. “Good morning” I greet the girl at the reception and she looks at me with big eyes. Number one, I say to my self. I head to my office I am sharing with Joan. On my way, people are friendly, like always, but most of them seem to be a bit insecure how to behave. Damn, they all know.

I close the door as I arrive at my office. Joan gets up and hugs me. “Hun, I wanted to call you… but I didn´t know… You shouldn´t give a damn about that stupid article.” she says with a serious look on her face. I sigh. “I don´t, Joan. Who cares…” I smile at her, and this time the smile isn´t faked. Chris is with me, we´re in love, so what.

I take a seat and look at Joan. “What?” I ask her, as she is staring at me. “What?” she repeats as she takes a seat. “I wanna hear everything! Not that I wouldn´t know, uhm…” she says and bites on her lips. “Yes, Miss I-have-no-clue! I heard from Chris that Jeremy told you about us, and I really wanted to choke you for not saying a word to me!” I smile at her. “Well, Jeremy can´t resist me” she grins. “He tells me everything I want to hear.”

“What do you think about that, I´ll let you know everything in the lunch break… I got some other things on mind right now – do you think it´s gonna be a problem, my relationship with Chris?” I ask her, and right after that my phone rings. “Good morning Judy. Could you please come over to my office!” my boss tells me and hangs up. Damn. I knew it. “Oh oh… Seems like this is the answer to my question, he sounds really pissed off.” I let Joan know and head to my bosses office.

He asks me in as I knock on his door and I take a seat. “Judy.” he says and puts his hands on his desk. Damn, I know what´s coming now. “Judy, I heard about your… well, I don´t really know what it is, but I guess you know what I am talking about. Chris Evans and you.” he says and looks at me. I inhale. “Let me tell you, first of all, that I don´t really know if such “relationships” “ – he draws quotation marks with his fingers – “are really a good thing between am actor and one of our employees.”

Fuck. He´s gonna fire me. I wanna reply something, but he holds up his hand to make me stop. “I talked to Steve on Sunday.” Damn, Steve! That idiot, he couldn´t wait to get his revenge, he had nothing better to do then to tell my boss, on a fucking Sunday, that I am sleeping with Crhis. Anger comes up in me. I am gonna beat him up. If I get fired, it wouldn´t matter anyway, I would never see him again. “And he assured me that this wouldn´t cause any troubles.” my boss finishes.

“Wait, what?” I say, quiet surprised. “He did what?”

“Well, I have to be honest, I read that article. And I told Steve that I was worried. This isn´t really good promotion for us of course. But he told me, that you were making a good job at that tour, and he has a high opinion of you, as well as I have, and I think it would reallly be a loss if you would leave us. Plus – it´s your private life, I can´t tell you with whom you have to share your life with.”

I didn´t hear anything of that. Steve? Steve took my side, after all that happened, after I warded him off? I feel horrible. I always talked bad about him. I didn´t expect this. “Judy? Judy!” my boss says, and I look at him. “Uhm, sorry… what did you say?” I ask him confused.

He smiles at me. “Get back to work. Okay? There´s lot of things to do. And just do me one favour – try to avoid being in a magazine again, okay? At least not in such a way.” “Thank you. I will try.” I tell him and leave. I hesitate a moment and then decide to talk to Steve. To thank Steve. The door to his office is open, so I step in. He is talking on the phone, so I just wait and smile at him. He winks at me. “Okay, I´ll let you have all the details… I´m sure I got your email address somewhere… okay, talk to you later. Bye!” he says and hangs up.