Awkward Silence

Derek and I sat in his car (which was very expensive) in silence, making occasional small talk, but mostly sitting in awkward silence.

     "So," he cleared his throat. "Do you live alone?"

     I scoffed. "That sounds like a question that most serial killers ask before they murder their victim."

     "I didn't mean it like that." He laughed. "Unless you're into that."

     "Oh yeah." I joked. "Murderer/Victim role play really gets me going."

    Derek chuckled, gripping the steering wheel tighter as the awkward silence returned.

     "Yes I live alone." I looked over at him. "To answer your serial killer question."

     He smiled. "Perfect, now I know I can kill you whenever I want."

      I laughed, admiring his profile in the moonlight. His green eyes shone through the nighttime darkness, and stood out against his tan skin. "What about you?"

     "You want to kill me?"

     I rolled my eyes. "You are so difficult sometimes."

     He chuckled. "Yes I live alone."

    Score. Now time to find out if he's single. "No significant other?"

     He shook his head. "Nope. Not much luck in the relationship department."

     "Funny."

    He glanced over at me. "What?"

    "Like I'd believe that YOU have trouble getting a date."

     "I do!" He snickered. "Most guys don't like a man that spends his time off with his grandma."

     "I don't know why." I smiled. "It's cute."

     He smirked at me, and the silence returned, but this time it wasn't awkward.

     "Guys?" I asked, after about 30 seconds.

     His face turned a shade of pink, and he bit his lip. "Yeah. I'm, uh, gay. So."

     I nodded. "Me too."

     His lip-biting turned into smiling. "I kinda figured."

     "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

     He laughed. "I could tell when I felt your heartbeat speed up when I caught you."

    "I was nervous."

    "You looked at my lips."

     "YOU LOOKED AT MINE!"

     He laughed. "Man your boyfriend must be lucky."

     "Don't have one." I settled back in my seat. "Boys don't like guys that get upset when their prosciutto doesn't cook correctly."

     Derek laughed. "Why?"

    "I don't know, I thought it'd be a total turn on."

     He laughed, and pulled into my driveway. "Here we are."

    I unbuckled my seatbelt, and turned in my seat to face Derek. "Thanks again for the ride."

    "Anytime." He snickered. "I hope your Jeep stays in the shop for a while."

     "And why's that?"

     He shrugged. "I can't really talk to you when my nana is around. You're fun to talk to."

      "I like to think of myself as an A plus conversationalist." I joked. "Bye Derek."

     "Goodnight Stiles."

     I walked out of his car, and pulled my keys out of my pocket. I searched through my keys, finally finding my house key and unlocking my door. I looked back, and saw Derek's black Camaro still parked in my driveway. I sent a smile his way, and walked inside to recover from my long day.