Awkward Avoidance

Soon it will be the first time I will see Derek since the whole "L word" incident. Well, I wouldn't really call it an incident. More like a "he said it and I chickened out because I can't get in touch with my emotions" moment. Yeah, we will call it that.

     The morning after the "moment", I avoided him at all costs, leaving early for work in the morning and waiting until I made sure he was gone to come home. I wasn't avoiding him or anything. Not at all.

     I parked my car, and looked around the driveway, seeing no sign of Derek's sleek, black Camaro. Yay. "Okay Stiles," I said to myself. "You've got this. He's not even here."

     I confidently walked from my Jeep to the staff door, opening it and immediately hearing Derek's intoxicating laugh ring through the house. Shit.

     I kept my head down, and headed towards the kitchen. Please don't see me. Please don't see me. Please don't see me.

     "Stiles!" Norma called from the couch, sitting next to none other than Derek. Fuck.

    "Yes ma'am?" I asked, turning on my heels to face her, looking everywhere but Derek.

     "You're here early." Norma motioned me over to them. "Come sit with us until your shift starts!"

     "Thank you ma'am," I started nervously. "But I uh, need to get the kitchen prepped to have breakfast out on time. Ya know, I like to be punctual and all." Derek cocked his head to the side, looking at me with confusion in his eyes.

     "Okay boy," Norma said. "You're such a hard worker. Take a break once in a while."

     I laughed. "Yes ma'am." I quickly turned on my heels, and headed to the kitchen.

     I sighed with relief, closing the door and leaning on it. "Get it together Stiles." I whispered to myself.

     I started to prep the kitchen, and turned around to get the ingredients for Andy's favorite breakfast, Meat Lovers Omelette.

     I looked around the cabinets, searching for my favorite cutting board. I couldn't use just any cutting board, no no, it had to be this one. "Where the hell is it?"

    "Need some help?" Derek's voice startled me, making me hit my head on the top of the counter and let out a squeak.

     I looked above the counter, making eye contact with Derek as he rushed over to me, holding in a laugh. "I'm sorry baby are you okay?"

     I got up, and quickly got out of his grasp. "I'm fine. Never better."

     He looked at me, and started to follow me as I walked around the kitchen. "What's up with you?"

     "What's up with me?" I scoffed. "Nothing! I'm fine. Great even. Just doing my job so I don't get fired. Making your grandpa's favorite!"

     Derek chuckled. "You realize you could set the house on fire, and my Nana still wouldn't fire you right?"

     "I still have to do my job Derek."

     I turned around, cracking the eggs in the bowl as he walked behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist. I jumped, wiggling out of his arms. "Can you not?"

     "What's wrong with you?" He asked, holding his hands up defensively.

     "I'm fine!"

     Derek scoffed. "No you're not. Did I do something?"

     "Just freaked the living shit out of me." I mumbled.

     "What?"

     "You said it Derek!" I stopped cracking eggs and turned around to face him. "You said it and it scared me."

     "Said what?" He asked, his voice matching my volume.

     "You said the L word!"

     He cocked his head to the side. "The what now?"

    "The L word! You know! The scary one!"

     He looked down, trying to think of what he said. "When did I say that?"

     I ran my hand through my hair. "When you fell asleep the other night." I sighed. "We woke up in the middle of the night and you said it right before you fell back to sleep."

     His eyes went wide. "Oh my God."

     "Yeah." I clasped my hands on my head and paced around the kitchen. "That's why I'm freaked out."

     "Why did that freak you out?"

     "Because!" I stopped to face him. "I know we have been dating for a little but I don't want to say anything we don't mean."

     "I mean." He started. "I do love you. But I didn't mean to say it so soon."

     I paused. "I love you too."

     He leaned forward, and pressed a kiss to my lips. My hands fell on his shoulders, as my lips reciprocated. He pulled away, looking into my eyes. "I'm sorry."

    "I love you." I said with a smile.

    "I love you too."