Resolve

.

.

.

.

..........M.E.R.I.D.I.A.N......L.I.G.H.T.S..........

.

.

We sat at the bleachers overlooking the ice rink. The electricity was down and the sun was setting leaving behind a shadowed stadium. The rink was chilly, mist hovered a few inches above the ground. I belatedly wondered how the rink continued to function without an electric cooling function.

"I thought about you."

My attention was snagged when his grip tightened momentarily.

"I was terrified. Beyond terrified." He leaned against me. Laying his head to rest on my shoulder. I leaned against him in return. "When everything was falling apart... I thought about many things... in the end, I thought about you."

It was silent for several moments, his breath grew ragged. But I was here for him. Always.

His hand now held mine in a vice grip. My free hand touched his head that was resting on my shoulder and caressed his hair back from covering his face. It calmed him as I continued to touch him.

"Yuzu."

I didn't expect a reply. I simply reached into my jacket to hand over the round object. Yuzuru straightened slightly as he received the medal.

"Gold."

"I won. I did my best."

"I didn't know. I'm sorry, I..."

"I understand, Yuzuru. Given the circumstances, it's not much compared to-"

"No, Era. You won." Yuzuru determinedly gazed in my eyes. "I'm happy for you. I really am."