Unavoidable Darkness

.

.

.

.

..........M.E.R.I.D.I.A.N......L.I.G.H.T.S..........

.

.

November 25, 2011

I held my head in my hands trying my best not to think about the conversation we had last night. My fingers ran through my hair before I covered my face in anxiety.

A knock sounded on the open door of the waiting area. Coach Nanami appeared concerned about my state. "Yuzuru, the bus is ready. We're leaving in five minutes."

I simply nodded at her. Coach Nanami wanted to say something but thought better of it. She casted me one last look before heading out. Silence reigned once again and those negative thoughts started to fill my mind. I refused to let it consume me. I slapped my knees and got up from the couch. There was no point wallowing as it wouldn't do me any good.

I have a competition to win.

Traversing towards the bus proved to be unecessarily difficult. I was used to the constant media hype when it came to competitions based on the fact that I had plenty of experience with them starting from when I was a kid. However, this time it was different.

My support team surrounded me as the journalists came down like wolves sporadically yelling out questions left and right. There were continuous flashes going around and I could see the cameras recording everything that's going on. The fans were particularly rowdy and some were even screaming at me to notice them. It was to the point that the hotel staff got involved to maintain order.

It only quieted down when I was safely inside the trasport bus going to the main venue. I dragged my luggage and placed it on the compartment above my seat securing it in place. I chose an empty two-seater with no one beside me. My mom was there right across the isle staring worriedly. "... Yuzu-kun."