Chapter Seven

A/N: Reworked. This version now features Tommy. :)

Chapter Seven

--Emma’s POV--

I pull the door to my room shut after taking one last look around. I quietly pad downstairs, memories from growing up here evading my mind. I can’t help but feel upset because of the emptiness of every room. When Derek suggested that we move back to the pack house and move in together I agreed. It was time. I’d been away from the pack for too long. I needed to return home.

Now that everything is packed up, the house empty and it’s time to go, I can’t help but be overwhelmed with sadness. This may not have been the home that I grew up in, but it is the one that I call home.

In the living room I spot Derek walking back from the garage. The living room is barren of all furniture, everything Mom didn’t want to take to the pack house was either sold or donated days before.

When Derek asked me to move back to the pack house with him, he offered Mom and Dad their place in the pack house back. Mom didn’t want to live in an apartment- which is what the pack house is, a tall building with multiple one or two bedroom condos in them -so Derek offered her a small two bed, two bath house a short five minute walk from the pack house.

I wipe under my eyes, trying to not let Derek see, but he must have because he walks over, wrapping his arms around me.

“What’s the matter?” Derek rumbles.

“I’m going to miss this place.” I sigh, rubbing my cheek against Derek’s chest.

“We don’t have to leave just yet, we can wait until you’re ready.”

I smile. He is so sweet.

“I know. I know you’ll wait, but I want to go.” I tilt my head back to look up his long frame to meet his gaze. “I want to get to know the pack again. I also want to know what kind of alpha you’ll be to them. If they’re frightened of you or if you really are a pussy cat.” I grin.

“I can assure you,” Derek rumbles. “I’m no pussy.” He pushes his hips against mine so I can feel the beginnings of his erection.

“Perve.” I state, grinning, not concerned in the least.

Derek growls playfully, snapping his jaws at me. “You know it.”

We smile at each other for a minute before Mom interrupts us.

“I hope you two will always be like this.” She says with this stupid-happy look on her face.

I stick my tongue out and scrunch up my face.

Derek laughs, tugging me closer to him and rubbing his cheek against my hair. I suddenly realize how tall he really is. At 5’2” I’m not exactly the tallest girl out there, but standing next to Derek, I feel like an dwarf.

I allow myself to enjoy the feeling of his arms around me for a few more minutes before pulling back.

“Let’s get this show on the road, shall we?”

****

The ride was long and incredibly boring. It was about a three and a half hour drive to get to the pack house. When Derek turned thirteen and discovered that I was his mate, we had to move, Mom, Dad and I. Our pack, the Redblood, named after Derek’s great, great, grandfather, is located near Phoenix. Mom and Dad decided to settle down in Lake Havasu City, California, figuring it was the best place to raise me.

Luckily Derek’s father let Dad stay Beta of the pack. Dad had to travel between the pack house and home to stay on top of everything.

I twist myself in my seat, trying to stretch my legs out in the cramped space. I don’t know how Dad did this every month.