Chapter Eight

A/N: This is dedicated to mgwescoat because of her comment which sparked an interesting chapter... I think it's interesting at least. ;)

Chapter Eight

--Emma’s POV--

I grasp Derek's hand tightly, my knuckles white as we walk into the pack house. Everything looks exactly the same. The living room, or 'common room' is still stuffed with more furniture than a furniture store with multiple couches, love seats, and chairs than needed. The room is filled with warm colors, soft pillows, pretty pictures, and those Little air freshener cones. I know the women of the pack have had a large influence in this room despite the huge flat screen TV positioned on the wall.

I expect to see a crowded room filled with smiling faces ready to greet me, and I'm a little disappointed when that doesn't happen. I loosen my hold on Derek's hand and glance up at him. He seems to understand my dilemma because he smiles softly and says;

"They're out back." I'm relieved to know that they are awaiting my arrival.

We walk through the house to the patio. The glass sliding doors open and a pleasant breeze drifting through the parted doors. I can't contain my grin when I see the many people I grew up with gathered outside. I gasp when I spot two blonde heads perched on very tall and lean bodies.

"Hailey? Sam?" I yell, running towards them. Growing up they were my only friends- aside from Derek that is. Sam immediately wraps his arms around me, lifting me off his feet and twirling me in a circle.

I laugh as my hair flies around me as we spin around and around.

"Okay, set me down or I'm going to puke on you." Letting my feet touch the ground Sam steps back.

"As charming as ever, I see?"

"You know it." I grin sticking my tongue out at him.

"What about me?" Hailey whines from behind me.

I spin around and pull her into a hug.

"I would never forget the other half of my only childhood friends." Hailey laughs. I've always referred to her and Sam as a part of each other. It's hard to say any different when they talk, act, and behave exactly the same.

"Oh come on, Emmy, you had lots of friends." Hailey objects, releasing me.

"You know I was the lonely nerdy kid. The only reason other kids talked to me was to try and figure out why their future alpha was so interested in me."

Sam rolls his eyes. "So dramatic, Em."

I grin cheekily at him.

"How have you guys been?" I ask.

"Alright, it was hard to process without our third amigo." Sam says the last part in really a really bad Spanish accent.

"Nice Spanish, amigo." I tease while poking him in the stomach.

“I know! I’ve gotten so good at it!” Sam exclaims.

This time I roll my eyes. Glancing to the side I notice Uncle Tommy. I say a quick “bye” to Sam and Hailey and dash over to Uncle Tommy.

Uncle Tommy wraps his arms around me and pulls me into a tight hug. Uncle Tommy is Dad’s little brother. At thirty six he’s still in good shape and is very muscular. Since he’s the little brother, he didn’t get the position of Beta in the pack, so he’s just a member, but it doesn’t seem to bother him. At six and a half feet tall with a very muscled form he’s known as The Enforcer in the pack, or at least, he was when I saw him last.

“How have you been, Baby Girl?” Uncle Tommy asks pressing a kiss to my forehead. Uncle Tommy has always called me Baby Girl.

“Good, better now that I’m back.” I say with a smile.

“California treat you well?” Uncle Tommy came to visit once or twice but otherwise stayed in pack territory.

“Yeah, it was pretty good. Not as hot as here.” We both laugh. In Phoenix it’s usually high nineties to the low hundreds. In California it’s usually in the early to mid nineties. A huge difference.

“How have you been?” I ask. Uncle Tommy looks exactly the same. He has kept his hair short for as long as I’ve known him, so other than the addition of a tattoo or two he looks exactly the same.

“Pretty good. I was looking after that boy of yours. I’ll have to show you pictures sometimes.” I smile and nod, looking over my shoulder for him. I haven’t seen him since I ran over to Sam and Hailey.

When I spot him I freeze. I feel like I’ve been hit. My mouth screams in pain when I see him standing next to a tall, leggy blonde. His arm is around her shoulders and hers is wrapped around his waist.

“Who…. Who- is she?” I stutter.

Uncle Tommy is silent for a moment. I would normally look back at him but I can’t. I’m frozen in place, my heart beating fast and my temperament changing from shock to anger.

How could he!

“That’s Elisa.” I can hear the tone in his voice that begs me not to ask it… but I do.

“And who is she to him?” I bit out. I’m no longer frozen in fear. I now want to run towards them and hit her.

God, how can I be so possessive over someone who’s cheating on me? I feel something rise in me and I know that this is why I never wanted a mate. The chance that he could cheat on me.

I feel tears prick my eyes and I force them back. I will not let him see me cry. Not now. Not like this.

“She’s his ex.” Uncle Tommy states. I already knew the answer. I knew that she was more than a friend to him.

I feel the anger rising in me, broiling over until I feel like hurting someone. Hurting him and her.

Before I know what’s happening I’m walking towards them and I can feel the anger rising in me with each step. It’s this pulsating energy that is building and building until I feel like I’m going to burst. I start to see red, and it’s not from my wolf.

Reaching out I grab the girl’s shoulder and rip her away from Derek. Her body bends back and she stumbles from the force of my hand on her arm. She stumbles for a few steps before regaining her footing. Turning towards me she looks for the source of her fall and she quickly narrows her eyes at me.

“What was that.” She demands. I can hear fire in her voice and it makes me hate her.

That was for touching my mate.” I state, grinning happily as the smug look falls from her face.

“Is this true, Der? Did you find your mate?” She asks in this pathetic little kid voice.

“Yeah, Der,” I mimic with heavy sarcasm. “Is it true?” I allow the bit of my anger to enter my voice as I shoot him a look.

“Emma it’s not what it looks like!” Derek waves his hand between himself and the girl. He takes a step towards me, his arms open, wanting to explain, but I step back. I can’t do this. I can’t let him touch me knowing her arms were around him, that her arms have been around him.

A sob escapes me and I raise my hand over my mouth, trying to silence any further sound. I shake my head at Derek in disbelief and turn, running away from my friends and family, away from my welcome back party, away from it all. I run until I’m out of tears and my cheeks are red and flush and covered in dried tears. I wipe snot from under my nose and sink to the ground.

I thought he was perfect… why did this happen? I wonder, looking towards the sky. Why.