Chapter Twelve - Derek's POV

A/N: I'm so sorry this took me forever to write! I'm been super busy. I have SAT's this Saturday. :)

Chapter Twelve

---Derek’s POV---

I try to hold back my laughter as Tommy tries to roll me onto my stomach to pin my arms behind all the while trying to keep me from escaping his hold. Tommy’s little hands press one of my shoulders down into the grass while the other tries to turn the opposite side of my body to roll me over. The kid is nearly sitting on me so I don’t know how he thinks he’s going to roll me.

After a few seconds of watching his exasperation, I decide to help him out and I relax my muscles slightly and allow him to roll me. I roll with his gentle- yet firm -push and within seconds the smell and taste of dirt and grass is pressed into my face.

I can’t help but grin as he laughs, proud of himself. I can almost feel his smile. He’s so happy with himself it’s coursing like a current through his body. The kid’s learning fast.

Really fast

I allow him to enjoy his victory for another minute.

“Okay, time to let me up.” I say. He releases my wrists and I roll onto my back. I rub my wrists, the skin there red despite his small hands. The kid has a grip.

I look at him and see him watching me rub my hands.

“You’ve got a good grip there kid.” I say, reaching over and ruffling his hair. He growls lightly and pats his hair back into place just as I thought he would. No man wants their hair messed with… unless it’s a woman doing it.

I scrub my hand over the short hairs on my head. I wonder how Emma would like me with longer hair. I smile, imaging her grabbing onto my hair and pressing me to her core while I taste her. I lick my lips. We haven’t done that yet. I know she’ll taste sweet and fiery, just like her temper.

My wolf tries to rise and make me go to her. We have been mated for a while, but we’ve only made the mating official a few nights ago. Until both of our wolves are assured of this mating we need to have sex and often.

I growl, desire making the noise thick. Two things I love are Emma and sex. Okay, there are three things I love. Emma, sex, and sex with Emma. I feel my body heat rise as I grow hard. I need release soon.

“What are you doing?” Tommy asks, shaking his curly locks out of his eyes. He looks up at me with eyes that are so clear and blue. Eyes that are just like his sister.

“Nothing, Tommy, I’m going to take a break, okay? You practice your kicks, ‘kay?” I hear Tommy hum a “uh-hu” as I’m walking towards the house. The need to be near my mate is strong. It’s pulling at me, digging into my chest until it’s all I can think about.

I freeze when I’m near the patio doors. I sniff at the air. Is that… is she… I frown. She’s scared. I snare, my beast trying to escape as I rip through the doors, the sliding doors crashing hard against each other as I run into the house.

I growl when I spot my mate. She’s standing next to my mother, her hands pressed to her chest and her face is nearly divvied of all color.

I run to her, wrapping her in my arms. I can see that her eyes at bright and wet, and I know she’s about to cry. She presses her head into my shoulder, her nose touching my neck. I search the room, trying to find whoever it is that’s threatening my mate.

Another growl rumbles from my chest. Nothing. What scared her?

I turn and look at Mom. Her face is strained, the worry lines around her eyes prominent. I can see tears are threatening to fall. She has a hand pressed over her mouth to try and contain any sobs that might try to escape.

What happened?

“Emma,” I say gently, my mouth near her ear. “Talk to me. What happened?”

I wait for a response, but she doesn’t say anything.

“Baby, talk to me.” I demand. “Please.” I whisper.

Again, Emma doesn’t respond. I’m beyond alarmed. Now I’m fucking furious.

Who. The. Fucking. Hell. Did. This.

My anger starts to build, my fists nearly shaking with it. I can feel my wolf pushing at my skin, demanding release.

An evil smile comes across my face as I agree with my wolf’s anger. I also want to find whoever it is that has her scared shitless.

I want to hit something, anything. No, I don’t want to hit just anything. I know exactly who I want to hit. I want to hit the person who made my Baby upset.

I look down at the woman wrapped in my arms and I feel my anger dissipate. I can hurt people later, right now, the only thing that matters is Emma.

“Baby, please.” I beg, my voice rough. “Please talk to me.”

By now, I’m not expecting her to say anything, but I’m not expecting her to cry.

Her tears stain my shirt, her sobs ringing in my ear. I feel my heart break a little as she cries.

“Mom?” My anger is forgotten, now all I want is to make her stop crying.

“Mom what happened?” When I speak, you can hear the desperation in it, and it seems to break Mom out of her shocked state.

“Oh, Baby.” Mom walks over and wraps an arm around my shoulders. She rubs her other arm across Emma’s back.

“I’m so sorry.” Mom says.

My forehead crinkles as I frown. What is she sorry for? What the hell happened?

“What are you sorry for? You didn’t hurt Emma.”

Mom pulls back, her hand stilling on Emma’s back. She turns to me. Her eyes are watery, her cheeks red and her hair wild.

Then she says the four words that will haunt me forever.

“No, but you will.”