chapter 8

I opened my eyes and I gasp. I was on a mountain in a meadow blooming with wildflowers. The first fingers of dawn were splashing their colors across the sky. I could see for miles across the mountain tops and into the valleys. I felt so alive! There was such an amazing sense of peace here.

I could see someone walking up the mountain toward me. She had a long white dress and white hair down past her shoulders. She was still too far away to make out her features. She had a glow about her. As she got closer, I laughed and ran towards her, "Gran! is that really you?"

"Yes my child, I needed to speak with you." She smiled.

"How are you here? I've really missed you!"

"Our time is short, so listen carefully to me. You need to read the letter I left for you and open the envelope from the bank. Your life will be changing soon and you need the information that I left for you."

"I'm so sorry Gran, I forgot about the letter. So much has happened!"

"Our time is up Alex, but remember I am always with you, as is your Enisi."

" Enisi? Gran I have so many question!"

" I'm sorry my child, read the letter." Then she disappeared. I looked all around me and began to call for her. "Gran! please come back?!"

Alex jolted awake and looked around her. She was in her bed. She could smell breakfast cooking downstairs. Alex jumped into the shower and then got dressed as quickly as she could. I will have breakfast and then take the letter and envelope and go somewhere quiet to read it, Alex decided.

********

I slammed the door as I walked into the house. I could hear voices coming from my office. I walked in and shut the door and glared at Derek, "What are you doing here?"

"Oh my dear nephew can't I pay you a visit?"

I scowled and walked to my desk and sat down, "You never come for a visit! Only to stir up trouble!"

"Can we speak in private? I have something I need to discuss with you."

"No. Whatever you need to say you can say in front of Daniel. I am very busy and don't have time for this shit! Now speak or get out!"

"Very well. As you know, you only have 40 years after you become Alpha to find your mate and reach your full power. Your birthday is in a year and you have not found your mate. So, I propose that you allow me to take over as Alpha now, to save yourself the embarrassment." He had an evil smirk on his face.

I could not contain myself. I started laughing so hard I had tears pouring from my eyes. Daniel was holding his stomach, trying to get his laughter under control. "ok...ok...ok" I took a deep breath trying to get myself under control before I spoke. "First of all Derek, If I were to step down the Alpha position would go to Daniel. Since he is already mated there would be no problems. Second, the Alpha position will never and I will stress that now 'never' be yours. It can only be in my Father's bloodline. Now I suggest you leave and for your sake,do not ever return here with the idea you will be Alpha."

"This is not over Trevor! You will be seeing me again!" Derek scowled. He went out, slamming the door.

Derek went through the house looking for the one he needed to speak to. He found her in the kitchen. He made sure she was alone and then grabbed her by the arm and drug her into the utility room. "What are you doing Derek?!" She whisper yelled.

"Shut up and listen! You will help me to gain the Alpha position or your 'little secret' will become known." He said with vehemence.

Her breathing was labored and her eyes were wide, "What are you talking about?"

"Don't play stupid with me! I see the way you look at him. The looks of love and might I add lust. Hmmm... What would your mate say? Knowing his mate is longing after another?"

She was shaking now. With a sigh she asked, "What do I have to do?"

"Don't worry I will be in touch. For now you are to listen in to every conversation they have." Derek walked away with an evil glint in his eyes.