Chapter One

Chapter One (Mark)

A lot can happen in one year.

Most people finish high school, get a job, go to college, move out. That was their life and at one point, I thought I'd never make it that far. I was on the verge of failing high school and I was trapped with my mother's abusive stalker ever since my parents died.

Or should I say murdered.

After a series of unfortunate events that involved blood, vampires, and sex, I had discovered that my parents were murdered by two opposing powers.

First there was Zephyra. A psychotic band of vampires set on destroying the human race and anyone who wasn't a pureblood. At least, that's what their leader wanted. The group themselves thought their leader was trying to protect halfbloods, but it was just a rouse. Their leader was Newell C. Drakon, a cousin I didn't even know I had. He was a thirty-year-old man trapped in the body of his eight-year-old self, but that didn't stop him from being one evil son of a bitch.

Then there was Vladimir Von Gothica. He was also my father-in-law. Vladimir was the powerful king of the vampire world. He ruled with an iron fist, but he kept to the ancient laws written down by the Originals, the Druids.

Purebloods were directly descended from these Druids. There were seven great clans of pureblood vampires on the earth. Gothica, Drakon, Grey, Lupis, Vulcan, Eros, and Xios. They were called the Court of Seven. Unfortunately, Vladimir began to kill them off in his quest for power, ultimately leaving behind only descendents of these clans, smaller halfblood clans.

Halfbloods were humans turned into vampires. They were bitten and transformed. They weren't nearly as powerful as purebloods and still had the tendency to fall prey to things that most vampires refrained from collapsing into.

And to think...

All my life I was worried about whether I would get my homework turned in on time or not.

Unfortunately, my life wasn't the only one to change. Like I said before, Vladimir Gothica was my father-in-law... And I was married to his son, Storm Van Gothica. His life changed and I had hoped for the better...

And then there was Alexander Lee Grey.

My best and only friend in the whole world.

Let's go home and get stoned! We could end up makin' love instead of misery! Go home and get stoned! 'Cause the sex is so much better when you're mad at me!

My cell phone went off, joining the song by Hinder with violent vibrations in the pocket of my beige wool winter coat, the white fluff on the ends of the sleeves and inside the hood. I reached into my pocket as I stood by the bus stop, snow falling steadily around me as I scanned the busy city streets.

"Markus the Awesome." I greeted, glancing down at my bulky gothic boots that I spent hours trying to find. I heard some crinkling sounds, then a sigh that made me perk my head up.

"Mark?" Speak of the devil. Alexander's soft voice filled my ear and made me shiver, biting into my lip.

At one point, Alexander and I hadn't even been friends. In fact, I had only hung around him to avoid getting beat up because no one ever beat up Alexander in high school. He was too smart, too rich, too creepy. I had always stolen Alex's money to buy drugs and pot and alcohol, but after practically dying because of it all, I cut myself off from anything and found myself addicted to warm O negative blood and chocolate cake pops.

"Hey, Alex," I greeted, trying to sound cheerful as I scanned the streets for the bus, "Sorry I'm late. The bus is taking for fuckin' ever. Are you already at the cafe?" There was some static as Alex answered, making me cock my head.