Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten (Alexander)

I watched past a hazy film as Slade choked and began to seize.

His body trembled violently, his strange colored eyes wide open and staring into nothingness. Blood began to trickle from his nose and over his parted lips as he slumped to the side and fell to the floor.

"S-Stop!" I managed, tugging at Kristophe's grip. His arms were around me, holding me away. I could feel him fighting the urge to bite me again as he took deep, heavy breathes. His twin, Claude, was at my other side, smirking as he watched Slade shudder and choke.

"You're killing him!" I managed to shout. Newt watched him with a calm expression, eyes flickering every so often to look at his work before he smiled lightly and turned to face me.

"For your sake, Alexander, I should hope not," He responded, then looked at Claude and Kristophe, "We'll be taking the hostages. Make sure Rhita and Seth are waiting outside to clear a path to the car. I can't have Vladimir or his men interfering with my plans."

"Yes, sir." Kristophe rose to his feet and tore me up with him, making me gasp in pain. I writhed in his grip, breathing hard as I paused to choke and cough up another glob of blood, my legs shaking and almost giving out until Kristophe caught me around the waist.

"Just drag him." Claude advised as he walked over to Slade, who was still seizing, but not as badly as before.

"I'd prefer not to." Kristophe muttered, then heaved me over his shoulder, making me cry out in pain as my world tilted and swirled with dizziness. I moaned in pain, curling my knees against Kristophe's shoulders as I looked down at the floor. I tilted my head to see an upside down view of Claude bending over Slade stopped seizing only to pass out. Claude heaved Slade up into his arms bridal style, pausing to glance over his shoulder at Newell, who stood in the doorway to the security room with a frown.

"What's wrong now?" Claude asked, glancing at his brother, who glanced back.

"We should hurry. I just got a bad taste in my mouth." Newt muttered, reaching up to wipe his mouth. Claude grinned as he approached Newt from behind.

"Probably that lipstick from earlier. Dressing up like a girl isn't your thing, is it?" He teased, making Newt roll his eyes.

"Shut up and do your job. I'm going to move ahead. Stay close." He commanded. Claude just shrugged and obeyed as did Kristophe, who followed close behind them. I grimaced uncomfortably, grabbing Kristophe's jacket in my fists and pushing myself to look down the hallway. I could see the lights from the Christmas tree outside just several windows down.

So close!

So close to the ballroom!

Maybe...

"Get off me!" I yelled as loud as I could, hearing my voice echo in the hallway. Kristophe didn't say anything, but he dug his nails into my back, bouncing me on his shoulder and making me cry out in pain as another bubble of blood rose in my throat and splattered past my lips to the floor below. I panted hard, then gritted my teeth.

There's no way I'm playing this stupid hostage game. I wasn't some damsel in distress you could toss around like this.

"I said get off!" I barked, then twisted myself as I tore up Kristophe's jacket and bit into his side, my fangs sinking into his skin. Kristophe gasped in pain and flipped me off his shoulder as my fangs withdrew and I hit the floor. Claude and Newt whirled around angrily as I managed to get to my feet, just in time for Kristophe to grab me by the throat, slamming me into one of the tall windows hard enough to make it crack.