Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight (Alexander)

The ball was more lively now that all the guests had arrived.

I felt a little uncomfortable, though. I lost Mark, Zander, and Slade completely. I couldn't see them anywhere amongst the group and I could only hope Mark's mission was a success. In the mean time, I probably had too much blood because my stomach felt gross.

I felt like I was going to faint.

I slipped out of the ball room into the hallway, taking a deep breath of relief before I started down a long hallway, only to pause and look to the side. One side of the hallway was completely made of gothic style windows that looked out over a snowy courtyard. At the center was a large Christmas tree, decorated in glowing little Christmas lights with thousands of decorations adorned upon it. I blinked, unable to look away.

It was beautiful. I just stood there for a while, staring out the windows at the tree and how it seemed to tower into the night sky. I lifted my eyes further and they locked on the full moon that stared down into the courtyard, staring at the tree just like I was doing.

"Enjoying the scene?" I blinked and looked up to see Storm coming down the hallway. I smiled lightly, then looked back out the window as Storm stopped beside me to stare outside too.

"It's beautiful. Who decorated it?" I asked, studying the white lights and the multiple decorations before looking at Storm, who was still staring at the tree.

"We usually make the servants do it, but this year Mark wanted to try it. We spent almost a week trying to get everything done. Mark and I, even my father and William joined in. It was strange. I'd never decorated a Christmas tree before. Or eaten Christmas cookies." Storm admitted, making me smile.

"Sounds fun." I commented. Storm smiled lightly, then looked at me.

"I saw your parents in there." He said after a moment. I blinked, then averted my eyes, shifting uncomfortably.

"Yes."

"Did you say hello?"

"Tried to anyway." I responded. Storm just nodded and said nothing else as we continued to gaze at the tree outside almost as if we were entranced. I could hear the music drifting from the ball room, switching to Christmas music and classical for a bit. I could also hear Storm's heart beating in his chest gently. I could smell blood and human food in the air as well as Storm's sandalwood scent. The air was warm and crispy inside, far better than the bitter cold outside.

"Would you care to dance?" Storm asked suddenly, making me blink and look at him. I raised an eyebrow for a moment as he held his hand out to me before I took it. I'd easily learned how to dance with another man because my father had spent years teaching me how to dance with Storm, and now all that was being put to good use.

"Nice of you to ask out of the blue. What about Mark?" I asked, taking in Storm's masculine scent that made my heart throb. I'd be a liar if I said Storm wasn't devilishly handsome, just like his father.

"Mark's busy playing matchmaker." Storm responded briefly, making me raise an eyebrow.

"Does that upset you?" I asked, watching Storm's icy blue eyes flicker and glow for a moment before he smiled lightly.

"It just makes me jealous." He responded honestly, then let me rest my back against his arm as he tipped me back before bringing me forward again to clasp our hands. I cocked an eyebrow.

"At least you're honest." I commented. Storm smirked, then twirled me so my back was against his chest and he held me there for a second.

"Maybe I am. What about you? I've seen you eyeballing my father all night." He said in my ear, making me blink as I pulled away from him. I turned to face him, taking a good step back so we were no longer dancing. Storm was giving me this look that very obviously accused me of liking his father and it made my cheeks flush pink as I stiffened.