Chapter Four

Chapter Four (Alexander)

"It was great seeing you again, Alex," Nathan said with a warm smile as we stood outside the cafe, waiting at the bus stop, "Maybe some time we can meet up, just you and me?"

This was it, I realized with a deep breath. I had to be straight forward with Nathan. He was a nice guy, there was no doubt about that. He was friendly, and I couldn't get over that smile of his. It was cute. He'd be a great guy-- for someone else.

I still wasn't completely over Nicholas and there was the fact that he was just a human and I was a pureblood. It would never work out. He'd be killed. I knew that for a fact. Of course, I wouldn't tell him that part. I'd just tell him about Nicholas is all...

"Listen, Nathan," I started, smiling the best I could, "I'm not sure what Mark's been up to lately. I mean, you're a really great guy, but..."

"You're not interested." Nathan filled in with a sad smile. I felt the heat reach the tips of my ears as I cleared my throat, shoving my hands into the pockets of my jacket, glancing sideways at Slade, Zander, and Mark, who were talking animatedly about something. I looked back at Nathan.

"I'm really sorry... I... just lost someone I cared about very much and... I'm still not over it." I apologized softly, reaching up to brush the hair out of my face. Nathan smiled warmly and reached out, brushing the hair out of my face, his fingertips tickling my cheek. I felt goose bumps course over my skin as he lowered his hand.

"It's all right. We can still be friends, though," Nathan added brightly, "As long as we get to hang out, I'm happy. Next time you wanna go out for coffee, let me know. We can just go as friends. Here's my number." He pulled out his cell phone and I did the same, punching his number into my contacts list before biding him farewell.

"See ya later, Alex." Nathan said, then surprised me by leaning in and kissing me on the forehead lightly. His lips were warm and soft against my skin, making my cheeks flame even more as I watched him back away, giving me a quick wave before departing down the sidewalk. I took a deep breath, closing my eyes.

"Laaame!" I jumped, snapping my head to glare at Mark, who was standing slightly behind me, his hands in the pockets of a leather jacket that looked suspiciously like Storm's. A cold gust of bitter winter wind blew his black hair over his blue eyes that watched me with a deadpan expression as I scowled at him.

"What's lame?" I demanded defensively. Mark made a face, folding his arms over his chest.

"And after all the work I did to get you guys to meet. Now who am I supposed to hook you up with?" He complained, stomping his foot like a sulking child. I smiled, cocking my head a little.

"Mark, you really don't need to do this. I'm fine on my own. I've been alone for a long time. This isn't any different." I assured. Mark frowned, averting his eyes before looking back at me stubbornly.

"Yea, but you're my friend. I don't want you to be alone. I've been alone for a long time too and I don't like it. I don't even like getting on the train or bus alone anymore. I hardly shower alone either. Storm's always there with me and when he's not, you are. You can't tell me that you don't get lonely." He protested quietly. I hesitated, letting his words sink in and hated myself for the pang of jealousy that shot through me.

It was a guilty pleasure having wanted to shower with a lover.

But that didn't mean I was going to sleep with the first guy I met. I wanted someone I actually loved. Maybe almost as much as Nicholas, but who knows when that would happen? And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't lonely. I did find myself waking up to cry after a nightmare and I had to turn on my lights because I was scared of being alone in the dark. I had almost picked up my phone a few times to call Mark, but it wasn't his problem.