Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve (Alexander)

"W-Why are you doing this? What are you doing here?"

My voice was shaking, and I hated myself for it, as I lay there on the bed, my hands still cuffed over my head and the blindfold obscuring my view of Nathan's face. All I could do was lay there as I heard Nathan sigh gently, taking a small step back.

"The only way to get what I want is to side with demons, which was the last thing I wanted to do. And you know, I really did like you in the beginning. I loved your smile, your voice. Everything about you. But I couldn't fall in love with your kind. It's a sin." Nathan explained calmly, his voice sounding faraway as if he were moving around. I tilted my head, trying to see past the blindfold, but to no avail.

"Nathan, what're you talking about?" I demanded, my gut churning as he said the words your kind. As if it were something sickening and gross, something evil. I heard some clanking and the scuffing of his sneakers before the side of the bed dipped with Nathan's weight.

"I should probably explain before I do anything. It's rude not to..." There was a pause after Nathan spoke and I felt him shifting on the bed before his fist rested near my thigh, making my muscles tense uncomfortably.

"My brother died not too long ago, I told you that before," Nathan began calmly, "Every day since then I told myself I'd find whoever killed him. I'd take him and rip him to pieces, just like they did to my brother. So I started digging and doing research. I had to find out who did this. I kept digging and digging until I ended up with two names. Grey and Gothica. Of course they were familiar. The Grey family owned a hospital down in Wolf Creek. Gothica was the last name of one of the biggest corporations in the world. At first, I still didn't understand why they targeted my brother and it was then that I found out what made the Grey and Gothica families so special, what connected them."

"You're a vampire." Nathan said the word like a curse. It sent a cold chill up my spine and then I felt Nathan's hands grab my mouth. I started to close it, but I felt him wedge something hard between my teeth so I couldn't close my mouth. I hissed, feeling his fingers move away from my mouth for a moment before returning. I frowned curiously until he pressed his fingers against my fangs.

My kind, our fangs were sensitive. It was also embarrassing to have them so out and vulnerable. It was like being naked and I felt so uncomfortable, his eyes and fingers on my fangs. They throbbed in my gums at the cool air outside my mouth and the salty tips of Nathan's fingers.

"It's true," He murmured, "I didn't believe it when I first discovered it, but the way my brother died... What kind of murderer drains his victim's blood entirely? The cops told my family that the body was so mutilated that we couldn't see it. They said it because they had no explanation for his death. Nothing logical anyway... It's these things that killed my brother." He pressed his fingers harder on my fangs, making the roof of my mouth throb in pain.

"Uuhhgnh!" I cried out and arched my back, lifting my leg and shoving it hard against his shoulder so he was at least pushed back. I tried to shut my mouth, but the hard objects between my teeth prevented it. I hissed when I felt Nathan leaning over me.

"Your fangs are the deadliest things I've ever come in contact with, but they're also your weak spot. At least, that's what Newt told me. Weird, huh? I've come all this way to kill a vampire with the help of another vampire, but whatever. Newt won't live long either. I knew Vladimir was looking for Newt. Newt told me. So this situation is all very convenient for me. Vladimir will kill Newt and his men and I'll kill you and Vladimir." Nathan explained as I felt his fingers in my mouth again, removing the blocks so I could suck in a deep breath, then spit at Nathan. I heard a frustrated sigh as he backed away.