Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen (Alexander)

It was difficult to explain what happened after we drove away from the Zephyra headquarters, listening to Christmas music.

All I knew was that I was exhausted. Physically and mentally. I just wanted to sleep for weeks.

But I had one last order of business to attend to. I kept quiet until we arrived at the Gothica Manor. Amber leapt at the first chance to assault me, sobbing and clinging to me. Mary-Kay even began to cry and hold onto me, making me smile uneasily. I didn't ask where my parents were. I didn't bother.

Vladimir had Kristophe and Claude sent to the east wing of the house along with Newell, who William carried over his shoulder. Part of me wanted to kill Newell, and it scared me as I watched him get carried away. Zander walked Slade there, their fingers laced together as Slade rested his head on his shoulder, making me smile comfortably. Storm and Mark just relaxed as they departed for their room.

Vladimir gave Amber and Mary-Kay permission to stay over for the night so they could make sure I was all right. I finally managed to get away from them, heading up one of the stair cases, looking around for a big fancy room that might belong to Vladimir. Once I reached a pair of large oak doors, I knew Vladimir was waiting inside, probably sitting at his desk or something.

I took a deep breath, then pushed the doors open, peering inside to see Vladimir sitting on his desk as he dabbed some kind of cream onto one of his wounds. I frowned for a moment until he looked up and smiled warmly.

"I knew you'd come sooner or later. Please, come inside. I'm just using a more human method of healing myself. I'm running low on fuel." He admitted with a shrug, then screwed the cap on the cream, dropping it on his desk. I came inside, shutting the doors behind me. Vladimir slid off his desk, but didn't bother to button up his shirt again, showing off a very ugly looking scar at the center of his chest, making my heart clench.

"Vladimir, will you tell me the truth now?" I asked at last. Vladimir looked up with a warm smile.

"What're you talking about? I always tell you the truth." He responded, making me frown. He studied my expression for a while before looking away as he picked up the little medical kit on his desk, putting the cream away inside before opening a drawer up.

"You want to know if I told your parents about feeding you fresh blood when you were younger." He announced, shutting the drawer and looking up. I stiffened for a second, bewildered that he knew what was on my mind before it dissipated. I suddenly wanted to smile.

He always seemed to know what was going on inside my head. He didn't need to ask questions or anything. He just... knew. He always knew.

"I guess it doesn't matter now," I admitted quietly, coming up to his desk, pausing to look at the pictures of Storm sitting in silver and black frames, "Because from now on, I only drink blood from willing donors. And I want you to know that." I picked up a picture of Storm as a teenager, studying the way Storm had changed over time. He'd been boyish when he was little. Now he was definitely a man, just like his father. I set the frame down and looked up to see Vladimir gazing at me.

"Vladimir." I stated. He blinked a couple times, then nodded slowly.

"Of course. I respect your decision. You're old enough to dictate your own life." He agreed, coming around to the other side of the desk so he was closer.

My heart began to pound so loudly, I could practically hear it in my ears. I felt like it was about to burst out of my chest as I looked up to meet Vladimir's eyes.

"That's not... exactly what I wanted to ask you, though." I admitted softly. Vladimir's eyes glowed as he stared at me, waiting patiently for me to ask. I hesitated, swallowing the lump in my throat.