Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven (Storm)

"What're we going to do?"

It was the fifth time Mark had asked me and part of me was irritated, but seeing the stricken look on his face broke my heart, so all I could do was put my arms around him and hold him close as we stood in the ballroom. Half the guests were being held for interrogation and the other half preparing to leave.

Meanwhile, Mark and I stood closest to the pool of blood on the floor that had belonged to Alexander. Amber also stood nearby with Mary-Kay, both puffy-eyed. My eyes searched out Alexander's parents, but there were nowhere in the ballroom, which made me frown.

Nobody said anything. No one knew what to say now. All we could do was stare at a sea of Alexander's blood. It was so dark. It gave me chills.

The ball had been going fine until the lights went out. I remembered the cold chill that coursed up my spine as I instantly grabbed for Mark. I held him close to me, my eyes searching the darkness until the lights snapped back on moments later to reveal that Alexander was near them with Slade. I frowned, confused until all I had to do was blink and a little girl was standing behind Alexander, long curly blonde hair and a nice decorative sword from our walls in her hand.

Seconds later, it plunged hard into his back. A scream ripped through Mark's body and echoed through the room as he had tried to rip away from me, but I kept a strong hold on him as the girl stepped back, jerking the bloodied sword from Alexander's back. Alexander choked and collapsed to his knees, blood bubbling through the wound and pouring down his back.

My father had made the first move, followed by Amber, but some man in a black suit approached the lights and snapped them off again, plunging us into darkness. I kept my arms around Mark tightly as he writhed, fighting to escape so he could find Alexander, but I refused to let go of him, which I knew enraged him, but he had no choice.

The lights flashed back on a moment later, but Alexander and Slade were both gone, leaving behind only the pool of blood that was beginning to fill the air with a dreary, wet scent. And one particularly familiar, best known as a pureblood's blood.

"Why didn't Vladimir do anything," Mark managed to ask at last, looking up at me in confusion, "I thought you said he loved Alex. If he did, why didn't he do anything?"

"Because he doesn't love anyone," Amber snapped, making me glance at her as she glared at me, "Vladimir doesn't care about anyone, but himself. We haven't even seen him since he disappeared into his office half an hour ago."

"No," Mary-Kay said gently, touching Amber's arm, "Vladimir's as upset as we are. He's just better at hiding it. I can see his aura. It's turning blacker and blacker by the second. It's flooding his office. We need to get in there and talk to him, or soon, the aura will devour him entirely. It's like falling into a depression and never coming out."

"He has to," Mark insisted, giving my arm a tug, "If he doesn't, who's going to get Alexander and Slade back?" I frowned, then pulled away from Mark, taking his hands as I leaned down, giving him a firm kiss on the forehead.

"I'm going to go speak to him. Amber and Mary-Kay can wait here. Mark, you need to go find Zander. He's probably just as upset as we are." I told him gently. Mark looked at me, his expression reluctant before he nodded and we parted. I turned and walked across the ballroom, frowning as I exited and went down several hallways and up a staircase until I reached my father's office.

The heavy wooden doors were shut tightly, barring anyone who dared to enter. And I didn't have to be an aura reader like Mary-Kay to know that my father was distraught. I narrowed my eyes and  took a deep breath before I approached the doors, pushing them open without even knocking.