Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine (Slade)

I woke up to pain. It radiated through my skull, pounding in my temples. My eyelids felt heavy and my whole body ached. I forced my eyes open, my vision blurry at first before slowly focusing on what looked like a set of security computer monitors scaling up a wall. A couple of leather chairs sat in front of them, two corpses occupying each chair.

I blinked rapidly, my heart leaping into action as I writhed to get up, but my hands were drawn up painfully behind my back with what felt like wire that only cut into my skin. I winced and blinked a few times, tilting my head back against a wall gently. I was sitting up against a wall, and judging from the source of my pain, there was a bump on the back of my head.

I turned my head and froze, my heart catching in my throat as I found myself staring at Alexander Lee Grey. He was lying just a couple feet away on his side, blood oozing steadily from the stab wound in his chest. He was practically lying in a pool of his own blood, the red staining the white shirt of his tux and his pale blonde hair.

Confusion struck me at first, then rememberance as I remembered the lights going out. Alexander had taken my hand and led me to the light switches with him and I had let go because someone had screamed. It had taken me a moment to realize that Alexander had been stabbed through the back with a sword, but whoever had done it had ditched the scene an instant after doing it, leading the sleek decorative sword to stick through Alexander's back and chest.

He had looked so confused, as if he had no idea what was happening before it struck him when he looked down at the silver sticking out of his chest. He hit the floor on his knees, the blood having splashed around him. His lips parted as if he were trying to speak and I heard someone yell, making me snap my head to see Amber, Storm, Mark, and Vladimir all moving at once. I turned my head again to look at Alexander, who had fallen to his side.

I felt frozen. My body wouldn't move.

I had seen this happen.

I know I did. It felt like deja vu and a wave of nausea struck me as I took a step back. That was all I had managed when the lights went out again.

Something had hit me. And now I woke up in some kind of security room and Alexander was still bleeding heavily. Part of me was horrified. He'd been stabbed and he was stil bleeding; he was going to die of blood loss!

But then I remembered. Alexander wasn't human. He couldn't die that easily.

I quickly leaned forward on my knees, inching closer to Alexander and using my foot to reach out and nudge him a couple times. He didn't move, just lay there with blood caking the front of his tux and dribbling past his lips.

"Alex! Oi! Wake up will you! Alexander!" I barked, wincing at how loud my voice was. I paused as Alexander shifted a little before his eyelids seemed to lift, revealing the darkened blue orbs behind them. I sighed in relief, then bit my lip as I nudged him a few more times.

"Alexander, I know this is a stupid thing to ask, but are you all right?" I asked sincerely. It was more of a question of whether he was going to live or not. My heart pounded in my throat at the thought as I winced. Alexander's eyes shifted, looking around the room before he attempted to lift his head, but it seemed too much work for him, so he just slumped back into the wet puddle of blood.

"Sss... Slade... What the hell..." He mumbled, then choked and coughed, spitting up a few droplets of blood. I grimaced.

"It's me, Alexander. Do you remember anything that happened in the ballroom?" I asked hopefully, watching Alexander squirm a little, breathing hard in pain.