Chapter Two

Chapter Two (Alexander)

Mark could do whatever he wanted.

He'd always been a little spoiled for some reason; strange considering he lived with his mother's stalker, who abused him day and night in more than a hundred ways. He only got worse after he got married to Storm, who had no control when it came to Mark.

If Mark wanted a new bag, Mark got a new bag.

If Mark wanted Chinese food, Mark got Chinese food.

The only person who stood between Mark and what he wanted was me half the time.

Even Vladimir had problems saying no to Mark, because that meant saying no to Storm and Vladimir had a father-son complex like no other. He also had this strange obsession with me, which is why I was invited to some strange party that he was planning at the end of the week. I didn't want to attend in all honesty.

I wasn't the only guest. Several other powerful people in our world were attending and that included the parents I hadn't spoken to in over a year as well as Amber, who still had yet to call me about her new shop and how things were going.

But whatever.

I had a new life to focus on now.

I had three essays to write before tomorrow afternoon and I had only managed to finish one in the time I was given, so I was headed to the campus library. The bus dropped me off at the campus gates before I walked along the snowy sidewalk, sipping my coffee and wincing as the heat touched my sensitive fangs.

Other students filed on by, some laughing and others talking casually about their day. One guy was running as if the devil were on his heels, fumbling with a cell phone and almost slamming into a geeky looking girl who was texting. A couple was holding hands, cuddling right there on the sidewalk.

My heart ached in sudden envy and I took a deep breath before gulping down the last of my coffee, letting it scald my throat and stomach as I threw it in a nearby recycle bin. I passed it as I went into the library, relieved at the warmth inside.

It was a peaceful, quiet place. Students gathered around tables to study, read, or write their essays on their laptops. Some were playing geeky card games and others were simply texting.

I found the most isolated place I could for some peace as I sat down at a small round table in the far back corner. I set my things down, pausing to glance up at the tall book cases that towered way over my head and up to tall stain-glass windows with Biblical pictures.

I looked away as I took a seat, taking out my laptop and setting it out. I was just opening up a new document when movement out the corner of my eye made my eyes flicker, watching a guy walk out from behind a bookcase, coming over to sit at my table. I didn't say anything to him, just watched.

He did this weird thing with his tongue, licking his upper lip every so often as if he saw something delicious. His hair reminded me of a strange scene art project, most of his hair brushed toward his face. It went from white-blonde and turned into this obscene collage of colors. Blues, purples, and greens, with a lock of black hanging down in front of his left ear, which was adorned with silver hoops.

He almost reminded me of Mark before he became a vampire. Except more piercings. Aside from the ones taking up his left ear, he had silver snakebites and a diamond stud in his nose. He dressed in tight jeans and a loose basketball jersey with the school's logo across the front and the number 12 under a loose sweatshirt and large winter jacket.

I started to look back at my laptop when I realized he was staring at me. I wanted to look away, but his eyes were a strange shade of... blue? Purple? What kind of eye color was that anyway?