027. Princess Beatrice's Wedding

Chapter Twenty-Seven | Princess Beatrice's Wedding

8 May 2020

Wedding of Princess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi

The wedding of Princess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi took place on 8 May 2020 at Westminster Abbey in London, United Kingdom. The bride, Princess Beatrice, is eleventh in the line of succession to the British throne. The groom, Count Edoardo Alessandro Mapelli-Mozzi, had been her boyfriend since 2018.

The Dean of Westminster, John Hall, presided at the service; the Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby, conducted the marriage; Sarah Mullally, the Bishop of London, preached the sermon; and a reading was given by the bride's sister, Eugenie. Edo's best man was his brother, Alby Shale, while the bride's cousin, Princess Victoria, was maid of honour.

A total of four bridesmaids and two page boys were chosen: Edo's son, Christopher Woolf Mapelli Mozzi, Beatrice's cousin Peter Phillips' daughters Isla and Savannah Phillips, her cousin Zara Tindall's elder daughter Mia Tindall, her cousin the Duke of Cambridge's eldest children Prince George and Princess Charlotte of Cambridge. Beatrice's cousins Lady Louise Windsor and James, Viscount Severn, were also confirmed to be special attendants.

The wedding invitations specified a dress code for men of "dress, morning coat" and for women, "day dress and hat".

The bride wore striking cream gown featured long sleeves with a large train designed by luxury English fashion designer Emilia Wickstead. Contrasting with the thick fabric of her wedding dress, Princess Beatrice's veil was made from a delicate and soft white tulle.

The bride also wore a pair of diamond and ruby earrings, gifted to her by Mapelli Mozzi. The Queen lent her granddaughter the Burmese Ruby and Diamond Tiara, the tiara includes 96 rubies which were a gift from Burma. Queen Elizabeth had commissioned from the House of Garrard in 1973.

The bride wore shoes by Charlotte Olympia. Her bouquet, created by Patrice Van Helden Oakes, consisted of "Lily of the Valley, Provence roses, orchids, orange blossoms and sprigs of myrtle from Osborne House. Her bridesmaids carried similar bouquets and wore roses in their hair. After the wedding the bridal bouquet was placed on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior at Westminster Abbey, following royal tradition that began with the Queen Mother. Bobbi Brown make-up artist Hannah Martin did Beatrice's make-up for the ceremony.

Maid-of-honour Princess Victoria wore an bespoke dress by Ralph & Russo. The bridesmaids and pageboys wore dresses and uniforms designed by Amaia Arrieta.

Members of the Nijmegen Company Grenadier Guards, of which the Duke of York is Colonel, lined the West Steps of the abbey as the couple depart for their carriage procession.

The ceremony was attended by the bride's and groom's families, as well as members of foreign royal dynasties, diplomats, and the couple's chosen personal guests. After the ceremony, the couple made the traditional appearance on the balcony of Buckingham Palace. As Princess Beatrice is not the heir apparent to the throne, the wedding was not a full state occasion and many details were left to the couple to decide, such as much of the guest list of about 800.

The marriage vows were those published in Common Worship, and included the promise to "to love and to cherish" each other. This was sealed by putting a ring on the fourth finger of bride's left hand. The ring is made out of the Welsh gold. After the signing of the registers, Beatrice and Mapelli Mozzi together with the guests sang the national anthem. The couple paused briefly to bow and curtsey to the Queen before walking down the aisle. They were followed in procession by other members of the bridal party and by their families. The couple shared a kiss on the steps outside the abbey.

Events were held around the Commonwealth to mark the wedding; organisations and hotels held events across Canada, over 5,000 street parties were held throughout the United Kingdom, and one million people lined the route between Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace. The ceremony was viewed live by tens of millions more around the world, including 43 million live streams on YouTube. In the United Kingdom, television audiences peaked at 26.3 million viewers, with a total of 36.7 million watching part of the coverage.

After her wedding Princess Beatrice kept her royal title. She has the option of taking her husband's last name.

It is not clear when the couple left for their honeymoon. The location of the honeymoon has been kept secret, although the press speculated that they might have been headed to locations such as Switzerland, Nicaragua, Italy, the Caribbean, and the Seychelles.