Chapter 11: Family

Willow, Bruno, and Savio had barely entered the house when they were scooped into a tearful embrace by Nina. She held them tightly, her voice trembling with relief as she explained they just saw the news. Willow could hear the television in the living room as it broadcasted an update on the crazed assailant who attacked The Blue Shoes..

Vilis and Blake rounded the corner, fear and relief written across their faces.

"What happened back there?" Vilis asked as he approached. His eyes skimmed over his friends, checking for any injuries. "Are you guys hurt at all?"

Bruno patted Nina's shoulder and motioned for everyone to go into the living so he could explain what happened. As they took their seats on the couches, Bruno turned off the television. He wanted peace and quiet for this.

"First off, we are all okay." he began, easing himself onto the couch, "Memphis arrived before anything bad could happen." He glanced up at his friends and took a breath, "The man that attacked the bar said he was a Hunter."

"What?!" Blake paled. Their body began to shake as a quiet 'oh gods' escaped their mouth.

"The police have the man in custody, and Memphis called in a friend from Port Edwards." Bruno explained quickly, "Right now, Memphis wants us to keep a low profile until his friend arrives to sort things out."

Vilis shifted uneasily in his seat, eyeing Willow as if to say 'what about her?'

Willow offered a small, timid smile to try and ease the tension, "I know."

There was a long pause. Willow motioned to Bruno, Savio, and then Rayne, "Elf, Fae, Fae... And my new boss is a literal Demon. Still beats the library though." The attempt at humor did not break the tension unfortunately.

There was another long pause.

Nina slumped back in her chair, running a hand down her face as she muttered in another language. Vilis rubbed her back while Blake rested their hand on her shoulder, whispering calmly in her ear that everything was going to be okay.

"Memphis assured us that Willow is in no danger..." Savio added, hoping to soothe Nina as well.

"And what about the Hunters? That seems pretty dangerous." Nina frowned, her voice sharp as a dagger.

"She has a point." Vilis conceded gently. "She might not need to worry about us, or people at The Blue Shoes... But what about the Hunters?"

Rayne sat forward in her seat, drawing everyone's attention. "That is why Memphis called in his Court friend. She's a psychic Fae and fond of Humans. She will make sure that the Hunters are dealt with and that everyone will be safe." Rayne explained simply. She smirked and nodded at Willow, "Besides, it can't be that hard to keep an eye on this Human in the meantime."

"Is that a challenge?" Willow asked wryly.

"Please, no." Nina sighed. She pinched the bridge of her nose before looking back up at Willow. "How are you handling all this?"

"Shocked? Surprised?" Willow shifted slightly, "Wasn't really expecting anything like this. I am unnerved about the Hunters and what that means for you guys..."

Vilis looked pensive, as if trying to figure out the next course of action now that they had been revealed. He glanced over to Bruno and then Rayne, as if trying to glean some hints of a plan from them but nothing was forthcoming. Nina also appeared quite pensive, though more unsettled than Vilis or Blake. She twisted the golden ring on her finger, tracing the etchings in the metal.

Blake, deciding they were done with the silence, got to their feet. "Well, looks like these are useless now then!" They said with a flourish of their hand before removing an engraved metal band from their wrist.

Blake's form shimmered before shifting into that of a large human-like bird with bright red and blue plumage. They stretched their magnificent wings, nearly knocking over the television and Vilis at the same time.They grinned brightly as Willow gaped, staring fixedly at their wings. "Impressive, huh?" They flexed their wings before folding them back up, "I'm a pretty good flier."

"Are you a.. Fae too?" Willow asked.

Blake laughed, "Fae? Skies above no. I'm a Harpy. Harpies, Drakes, Centaurs..." They paused to think for a moment, "We're like nature Fae, like Rayne... but closer with the natural world. We're more adaptable to the Human world too."

"More adaptable?"

Blake tapped a long feathery finger to their cheek as they thought. "Elves and Fae need to maintain some contact with magic. Avalon is a world of magic, but the Human world isn't. If Elves and Fae live outside Avalon for too long, their powers weaken. They don't lose their magic... but it becomes harder for them to connect with. Folk like Nina and I, we don't suffer those effects."

Nina fidgeted with the ring on her finger, looking away as Willow turned a curious gaze her way. Her brow was furrowed as she twisted the ring again, feeling the grooves beneath her fingertips.

It hurt to see Nina so distressed. Willow couldn't think of any point in the last few months that she'd seen Nina this torn up. She was always so calm and cool.

Willow watched as Nina continued to twist the ring anxiously. She was willing to bet the ring acted like Blake's metal band. "Nina..." She said softly, "You don't have to."

Nina bit her lip as she looked up at Willow. She held her friend's gaze, studying her closely. Willow's eyes were filled with concern and affection for her friend. No demand for information. No disappointment. Just pure and simple acceptance.

Nina drew in a slow, shaky breath as she stood up. Bracing herself, she pulled off her ring with one swift movement. Her form shimmered and changed before settling into what reminded Willow of a Gorgon-like being. Her scales were a mix of pale blue and deep teal with dark golden bands running down her sides. She waited in silence as Willow's eyes widened, fearing that her friend was about to recoil in fright.

Willow's eyes danced as she took in the iridescent scales of Nina's body. It suddenly struck her that she'd been staring in silence for a few seconds. Nina's tail had begun to coil and twitch slightly. When Willow looked up, she could see the thinly veiled fear in her friend's eyes.

Willow spoke quickly, wanting to allay any fears. "You look amazing!"

Nina looked up in surprise. A smile slowly appearing on her face as she breathed a sigh of relief, "You're not scared?"

"Scared? Fuck no! You look so cool!"

Vilis removed his ring next, but his change was less dramatic. His features were quite similar to Bruno's. Long, tapered ears, and vibrant eyes. Vilis' eyes went from a tame golden brown to a near pure gold colour.

"Damn..." Willow breathed as she looked at her friends, "Wonder if I'll look anything like you guys some day."

"Stick around us long enough, and who knows?" Rayne chuckled.

"Aren't you going to drop your disguise?" Vilis asked.

Rayne shrugged as she got up, "Maybe later. I need to get heading back. I'll see you guys at work tomorrow."

"Please be safe." Willow said, watching as Rayne started towards the door.

Rayne gave a small nod, offering a tiny fanged grin, "No need to worry about me."