Chapter 24: I have a plan

How long were they going to have to wait?

Willow had struggled to sleep that night. The image of Memphis exploding in a ball of chaotic light and energy was etched into her mind. She awoke after a particularly blurry dream with a flash of light followed by a shadowy, ethereal figure emerging from the dust. The figure was... not particularly intimidating in appearance. Or at least not at first. They were an average height, not exactly tall. Their hair swirled around them like curls of smoke. They moved with quiet, confident steps. It was almost as if they were gliding across the ground.

The figure stopped and turned to look at Willow, eyes bright red and glowing. Their eyes flared slightly as they grinned. Long, sharp fangs flashed at Willow before the figure tore off, vanishing into another cloud of dust with a feral snarl.

She woke with a start, sitting up in her bed. Rubbing her eyes, she let her legs dangle over the edge as she oriented herself to reality. She was tired, but sleep was probably not on the agenda it seemed. Looking around the room she noticed the other two beds in the room were empty. She got up, slipping on her shoes, and made her way downstairs. The clock on the wall read about seven in the morning. She guessed she might as well make some coffee for anyone else who was awake.

***

A full day had passed since Memphis was banished, and things were starting to get tense. Either he showed up today so Moira could get her plan rolling, or things were going to get a lot more complicated for everyone.

Downstairs Savio and Rayne were sitting with mugs of coffee, Moira sitting across from them at a table. It looked like none of them had gotten any sleep.

"Rough sleep?" Rayne asked, getting up from her chair.

"Yeah... Weird dreams." Willow said with a yawn.

Rayne placed a hand on Willow's shoulder, voice soft, "Grab a seat. I'll get you some coffee."

"Thanks, hun." Willow said tiredly. She looked up suddenly, eyes wide with surprise.

Rayne simply laughed, "No problem, darling."

Willow was silent as Rayne walked off into the kitchen. She stared in surprise before a quiet 'aw' snapped her from her thoughts. She turned and frowned at Savio, who was grinning knowingly.

"Zip it." she said.

"I said nothing." he retorted with a grin and a sip of his drink.

Willow grabbed a seat beside Moira, watching as the Faerest kept checking for messages on her phone, opening and closing applications, and generally fidgeting with the device. The fidgeting continued, even after Rayne returned with the extra coffee mug.

"Can't sleep either, eh?" Willow offered, pulling Moira from her thoughts.

"Mh? Oh. Yeah, no... I've had too much on my mind..." Moira admitted, setting the phone down. Her mug of coffee sat in front of her, a few sips missing but not much.

There was a long silence. Willow held her mug in her hands, enjoying the heat on her palms. "He'll be back." she said finally.

"You sure about that?" Moira asked, the edge of her lips tugging in a half smirk.

Willow shrugged slightly, "I just have a feeling."

Savio chuckled, "What? Did you see him in a dream?"

"God no." Willow began.

"Damn," Savio shrugged, "Would've been great if you did. Good news for us, plus we'd know just how you are taking to the magic."