Chapter 18: Demons are only ever semi-helpful...

Moira could sense the moment the door closed that Willow and the two Fae were hovering by the door. She nodded at the door, signalling Memphis to shoo them off before she spoke with him and Celeste. The Demon slipped over to the door, opening it enough that he could see his employees. He ushered them over to a table away from the door before returning to the kitchen again.

"So, what's up? Did you find anything?" Memphis asked.

"What did you see in the Hunter's mind?" Celeste inquired.

Moira leaned against the edge of the preparation table. Her brows were furrowed as she thought. She looked up after a moment, "I saw ceremonies, a few random locations... Nothing concrete. Even in the end, the Hunter was not going to give in easily." Her brows were knit, "I briefly saw a Dragon in the Hunter's mind. I did not know that there were any Dragons on this side of the veil."

Celeste looked absolutely confused, "There shouldn't be? They haven't bothered with Humans in eons."

Memphis hummed to himself as he thought. He had walked the earth a great many times in innumerable bodies. He briefly walked the earth in the body of a sorcerer, back before what the Humans called 'the Classical era'.

"I am familiar with them... Though not personally." he admitted.

"What do you know of them?" Moira asked. Memphis could tell from the look in her eye that she was nothing but business at that moment.

Memphis pulled up a chair, motioning for the women to follow suit. This was going to be a long history lesson on Dragons and everyone had to settle in for it.

Memphis cleared his throat, "Long ago in an age of myths and legends in Human history, a small group of Dragons crossed over from Avalon into the Human world. At this point in time, Humans and Magicals mixed frequently. Looking for land, knowledge, power, and whatever else the Dragons desired, the Dragons came and became part of Human myths.

"They did not stay more than a couple hundred years or so before they decided to leave. It turned out that it was easier for them to hold power in Avalon compared to the Human world. Dragons are worshipped like gods by the Magical races. They are rare and incredibly powerful beings. Immune to all magic, they are nearly untouchable. They are also seen as harbingers of death and destruction though. The claws and fangs of a Dragon do not simply wound a Magical. They feed off their magic, consuming them alive until nothing remains.

"The advantage that Humans have, though, is that they are not beings made of magic nor are they as deeply tied to it as other races. This means that the Dragons are not nearly as dangerous to them. Once the Humans figured this out, groups would form to attack the Dragons and drive them off. A few Dragons were killed before the remaining ones decided to leave.

"Now, the Dragons are little more than all-powerful, worshipped beings that live in the various domains of Avalon. Most are simply passive observers now, bored after a long existence and eternal future. Some simply gather knowledge, others offer tasks and trials in order to test those that came to them, and others occasionally go to mingle among the other races. Coincidentally, this mingling led to the first Drake populations some ages ago.

"Very little is truly known about the Dragons aside from their obscene levels of power. Rumors have floated around that they are actually gods from another plane of existence entirely, some believe they can shapeshift, and others believe they are powerful grand Demons."

"So... What's the truth about their origins then?" Moira asked.

Memphis shrugged, "I've just shared a lot of knowledge with you guys. I think I deserve a break."

The Faerest sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. "Men-" She caught herself mid-grumble. As frustrated as she was, she didn't want to just give up his name so easily. Gods above, he was being difficult as ever. She would give him hell about that later. She took a deep breath, trying to process all of the new information.

"So, there's a chance a Dragon stayed behind." she said, "Maybe the Hunters are after it?"

"They could harvest it for materials in order to make the ultimate magic-killing weapons." Memphis nodded thoughtfully.

Moira shook her head, "I need to find out if this Dragon's still alive, and if the Hunters have already started making weapons from its claws and fangs." She pinched the bridge of her nose and sighed heavily, "But I don't even know where the hell the Hunters are hidden in this city..."

Memphis stared off into the distance, deep in thought. "What if..." he began, "You let them come to you?"

Celeste nodded, "Word of a psychic Fae being in town has already spread to most of our kind within the city. Surely the Hunters know too."

"Hopefully they would send one of their high ranking Hunters after me... They would be the most likely to know anything about a Dragon." Moira nodded slowly. She glanced up slightly, "The Hunters are already watching this place and your employees. They might use them to try and lure me out."

"Then you will be ready-"

"Menti, I will not use those kids as bait." Moira's voice was sharp. She paused, eyes widening as she realized what she had said.

Celeste glanced at Memphis. Clearly the older Fae did not know the Demon's true name. She did not look too surprised by this revelation though. She looked over at Moira, "You know his name?"

Moira sighed weakly, "We have worked together in the past... In a sense." She gestured vaguely with her hand, "I worked with someone he was possessing for a time." She glanced at Memphis before looking back at Celeste, "I don't trust many folks... I've seen enough intrigue among the Courts, and deception among magical mortals in this world... But I trust Memphis."

"That still surprises the fuck out of me, by the way." Memphis added, examining his nails.

"You haven't been a threat to me yet... And like you said... You can't possess me. Your power over me would be minimal at best." Moira stated.

The Demon was silent. Their expression was flat, but it was clear that they were thinking and planning. He stood up after a moment, "My employees should know about this. For their own safety."

Moira's eyes narrowed, "You want to use them as bait for me."

The Demon turned to her, voice stern, "Moira listen. You need to lure out powerful Hunters. The Hunters know you will be watching this place like a hawk. The best chance of you getting at any more Hunters, is by letting my employees help you. If there's a Dragon involved, Willow would be the only one of us who wouldn't instantly die from one of their weapons." His shoulders relaxed slightly, "You trust me? Then trust that I am not suggesting this lightly. You take care of the Hunters. I will make sure my employees stay safe."

Moira looked over at Celeste. The older Fae looked deeply concerned. She did not like the idea of anyone being used as bait, but at the same time Moira needed something to lure out the Hunters. Madame Celeste looked over at Moira, "If anyone is to help you, it has to be of their own choice."

"Of course." Moira nodded.

Celeste bit her lip. This did not sit well with her at all. She was silent for a long while, before finally nodding at Memphis, "Bring everyone into the staff room on the second floor. We need to have a serious talk."