Chapter 17: Good old Uncle Memphis

It had been a relatively quiet day. The day staff had come in for their shifts and spent some time with Rayne and the others before starting work. It was still hard to believe that the Hunters had targeted The Blue Shoes and even stalked Rayne and Willow. Many of the staff were starting to wonder if The Blue Shoes was even safe to come to anymore.

Willow, Bruno and Savio spent most of the day with Rayne, who was recovering at a remarkably quick pace. Whatever was in the salve Celeste used must have been potent. The wound was likely going to leave a scar, but at least the burning had stopped and the pain was little more than a dull throb. Rayne had managed to get up and amble about on her own, though not without some mild discomfort.

By noon Rayne had managed to make her way downstairs, despite the protests of those around her. Everytime someone suggested she rest or if they asked about her pain, she would simply reply that she just needed to get up and move around. Just sitting around in bed was more irritating than helpful to her at that point.

Rayne had settled herself behind the bar with Savio and Willow. Despite the pair's concerns, Rayne was determined to do some work to help out. That didn't stop Willow from checking in on how her leg was doing every so often. A couple times Rayne tried to get up to bring drinks to customers, but Willow had swooped in to take the drinks and walked them over herself.

"Are you coddling me?" Rayne asked with a playful, chiding tone. She wasn't used to being fussed on like this.

"Considering you got hurt protecting me, I feel like I should be doing something to make your life a bit easier." Willow replied.

"Careful, I might get used to being pampered."

"Oh no," Willow said with mock worry, "Whatever will I do?"

***

It was a little after the lunch rush when the bar door creaked open and Moira stepped inside. She looked tired as she brushed the snow off her coat and made her way towards the bar. All the patrons in the bar had stopped what they were doing. Some watched Moira in wary silence, while others quietly whispered to each other. Even Rayne and Savio looked slightly on edge as Moira slowly approached them. She could hear Savio take a slow, deep breath to calm his nerves. Rayne flexed her fingers before gently drumming them on the counter behind the bar. Even Bruno kept a close eye on her from his spot near the front door.

Judging by the pensive and stoic look on Moira's face and the slight movement of her eyes as she took note of everyone in the area, she probably felt everyone's apprehension. Willow briefly wondered if Moira could hear their thoughts and worries.

If Willow had to guess, it wasn't common for Fae like Moira to just wander into a bar. Or maybe they could tell what Moira was? Was that something they could do? She didn't know, and frankly was a little worried about the answer. Maybe that was the case, because as soon as Moira was at the bar, Memphis emerged from the kitchen as if on cue.

He grinned at Moira as she leaned against the bar, propping her elbows against the worn wood. His voice was cheerful and welcoming, "Wasn't expecting to see you back here so soon. So, is this business or pleasure?"

Moira chuckled, taking off her scarf and setting it on the counter, "You know me." She rolled her shoulders, a note of amusement in her voice, "Business is always a pleasure."

With a wave of her hand, Moira lifted a glass from the shelf and set it down in front of her. A bottle of vodka lifted from the shelf as well and floated over to Memphis.

Willow and the others watched as a table of tattooed, leather clad bikers exchanged looks before setting down some money and promptly making their way out of the bar. Bruno had watched them leave before starting to tidy up their table. The bar was filled with a tense silence.