Chapter 16: This is how to care for Humans... Right?

Who knew iron was so dangerous? The moment they had entered The Blue Shoes, Memphis had rushed past Bruno, telling the Elf to get Celeste while he brought Rayne to a spare room. Memphis set Rayne down on a bed and ordered Willow to keep an eye on the Fae while he ran to get some medical equipment.

Rayne had removed her necklace, letting her disguise fade away so she could better examine the wound on her leg. The wound itself wasn't deep, but the chitin was visibly burned.

Willow couldn't help but flinch as she looked at the wound, "Is there anything I can do to help?"

Rayne shook her head, teeth clenched against the pain, "Not until Memphis gets back."

"Will you be okay?"

"I'll heal. This is nothing." Rayne hissed, "Just... very painful."

The way Celeste burst into the room made it seem like the wound wasn't simply 'nothing'. The older woman ran into the room, a glass bottle and rag in hand. She took one look at the wound and quickly doused the rag in the water before pressing it against Rayne's leg.

Rayne gripped the bed sheets tightly, teeth clench as a searing hot pain shot up her leg and across her body.

Memphis returned, opening up a large first aid kit filled with an assortment of salves and vials. Celeste motioned for Willow, instructing her to hold the rag in place while she went and grabbed the tools she needed.

Celeste grabbed a mortar and pestle from the kit, adding a bit of salve and some of the dried herbs before grinding them together into a thick paste.

Memphis moved forward, motioning for Willow to back up so he could stabilize and clean Rayne's injury. Using some water from the glass container, he cleaned the wound of any dirt and debris that he could find. Whatever the water was, it seemed to soothe the area a small bit. That didn't help the pain though. Rayne's body was tense, fighting the urge to pull her leg away from Memphis as he cleaned the wound.

Celeste gently covered the wound with her salve mixture before wrapping it with some gauze from the first aid kit.

Rayne visibly relaxed a little, resting her head against the headboard as the pain slowly slipped away.

"What was that stuff?" Willow asked, her voice quiet and hesitant.

"Spring water from back home. The magic helps counter the burning effect of the iron. The salve will help the healing process." Celeste explained as she cleaned up the first aid equipment.

"Will she be okay?" Willow's eyes remained on Rayne's wound. It hurt to see the Fae in such pain.

Celeste looked back at Willow, placing a hand on the young woman's shoulder. A small, calming smile on her face, "Rayne will be just fine now. She needs to rest though."

"Can I do anything at all to help?"

Behind Willow's eyes, Celeste could see that the Human was blaming herself for what happened to Rayne.

Celeste shook her head, "Not right now. All we can do is wait for Rayne's leg to heal up." She placed an arm around Willow, "This was not your fault, child. You did what you could to protect Rayne."

Willow looked down at the ground. She knew Celeste was trying to help, and that Celeste would never steer her the wrong way... But still Willow wished that there was something more she could do or could have done.

Celeste motioned for Willow to follow her and Memphis out of the room. "I don't want you going home tonight. I will set up one of the offices so you and the others have a place to rest." She paused, noticing that Willow was fidgeting with her fingers, "Are you okay, Willow?"