Chapter 1: Awakening

"Sleigh bells ring, are you listening?

In the lane, snow is glistening..."

Mirthful holiday tune continued to play while everyone else were screaming and running away.

Christmas was approaching and the shopping mall on a Saturday was packed full of people. They were like the fish in the seafood market display where at least one sea-creature was floating belly up. That imagery was very much fitting in this situation, because not soon after the 'Winter Wonderland' song started playing, shots were fired. At the sound of the trigger, as if it was some Olympics Race, everyone scattered, running in panic and trampling over others, to get to safety.

Store employees were slightly better trained as managers with the key quickly lowered their gates and employees evacuated customers to the back. As for the others still running in the hall, they jumped over food counters, ran into restrooms, pushed through employees-only doors, and escaped through fire exit doors. That was fine, because they happened to be the many lucky ones that managed to escape. 

Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them.

When more gunshots were fired, my vision instantly faded to black and a strange tune of some antique music box started to play eerily...

*

The next morning, I awakened into another nightmare.

At first, I noticed that the bed that I was laying in wasn't mine, and it was so huge, bigger than a king size bed. The next thing I noticed were my hands; they were abnormally small for a 23-year-old young adult. Next was the extravagant princess-like room that I had woken up in.

And lastly, a painting to my right showed a beautiful little girl sitting up from a bed. Curls of white silvery hair settled on her small, frail shoulders and her eyes like amethyst looked curious. Purple eyes were extremely rare, but possible, mostly due to albinism----Wait! Holy crap! Did it just blink at me!?

No wait... that's a mirror. That little girl is ME.

Well... shit.

My name is Latina De Lacourt, and I am the first and only daughter of the Duke De Lacourt----the most hated villainess of the 'Hearts and Magic' game.

It was a game that my previous-self used to play and was completely obsessed with it. I remember foolishly spending around $400 on their merchandise and virtual money. The frenzy playing lasted only for months--maybe years. 

So how come I was reincarnated into this game?

The day I died, I remembered hearing a tune. That same music box tune was the introductory song to the Japanese dating simulation game--otome game for short. I remember moments before the shooting, I had opened-up the game on my mobile phone and had decided to play it for old time's sake.

Still, that doesn't explain the 'why' part properly: why did I have to become Latina De Lacourt? She was wicked, manipulative, cunning... She was so horrible to the Heroine, even going as far as drowning a stray kitten that the main character was fond of and putting it in a gift wrapped box, delivering it to her dorm room. Evil incarnate, am I right?

Shit... does that mean I'm the evil incarnate now?

Getting up, I faced my new-self in the mirror. Memories of my previous life had settled in while mixing in with the memories I have now as Latina. I am XXXXX, and at the same time, I am also Latina.