Chapter 3: Monster Hunting

"Hear my call, Nina!"

Flames erupted from the ground, scorching the stone-path as it spiraled about like a tornado before dying out, revealing a magnificent fluffy creature standing at six feet tall with red-orange flames dancing at the tip of its fur. Nine cream-colored tails spun about gracefully behind, showing off in such a regal aspect. She turned to me, red eyes burning with a fiery passion.

I never thought I would actually summoned her. In the game, she looked quite the cutey, but here before me she was majestic.

It was an hour before dawn, and the servants of the house would start to wake by now if I don't leave.

"Nina. Can you take me deep into the forest?"

Clad in armor, my plan was to go monster hunting in the Forest of Eden.

Nina didn't hesitate as she lowered herself for my short stature. Carefully, I climbed on hair and grasped unto her soft fur. In a quick dash, she leaped into the air, flames coating her paws as she began to fly.

"MY LADY!!"

I hear Marie's shriek. Oops... I'm sorry Marie!! I'll be back!

It's been about a week since I discovered about my [Status] option, and after studying my [Character Profile], I thought that maybe it was time for a test run. I had brought not only a short sword, but also a bow and a quiver of arrows. They were standard equipment, but I'm sure that I'll be just fine since I have a mythic beast like Nina with me.

The Forest of Eden was huge as it served as a barrier against the other neighboring nations. Recalling the continental map from the game in memory, the kingdom of Eglacia settled just above the large mass that is the forest of Eden. To make one understand, it was like having the country of France nestled on top of a country like Russia. That's how big the Eden forest is----a forest filled with monsters, dungeons, mythic beasts, hostile creatures, and undiscovered legends. To the east of the Forest of Eden lies the Elven Kingdom of Mel'Estel, ruling with the forest spirits at their side. Then, to the South lies the Beastmen Kingdom of Alakastra. In the northwestern corner beyond the forest of Eden is the Mountain of Khal'Ole, the nation of Dwarves. There were plenty of other kingdoms, but these three held the most significance in the game.

The mansion that my father and I live in is located in a family-owned fief called the La Roque Province. It seemed like that my ancestors were once protectors of the border from not only monsters, but in case of invasion. The Magical academy was not too far from here either, and it was said that my ancestors helped get the place built.

In a way, it's supposed to be the De Lacourt's responsibility to protect the province and its kingdom.

So surely, Marie and Father would understand? Right?

Thankfully I didn't have to dwell long on what my punishment for later would be when Nina landed in an open, small meadow surrounded in the depths of the Forest of Eden.

And already, I felt the eyes of monsters on me.

Nina snarled at the hostile presence, but I simply got off, feeling no fear wavering me. To me, the threat of the enemies were equal to that of pesky house flies.

"I'll take care of this," I assured my Nina as I took out an arrow and pulled back the bow string.

How strange... it really feels like that I've been learning archery for years... Let's see if I can use the Gem skill.

[Marksman's Target]

Like in the game, three auras would light up in the color of red. With that, I aimed the bow to the sky and let the arrow fly. The arrow unusually curved to the right, diving down sideways in a loop, heading toward the lit targets...