The Good Samaritans

The Narrator

7:30 p.m. That Night. Las Taperas, Bolivia.

Felipe was back in Las Taperas. He had returned from all his duties that day. Wearily, Felipe threw his cap and a few files onto the table. He then put his pistol on the table behind his chair, before unbuttoning his collar and sitting on his chair. After stretching for a while, Felipe pressed the bell on his desk, summoning his peon. While waiting for the peon, Felipe looked through his journal, where he wrote notes about the events that happened that day and the actions that he took.

That day was a very tiring day for Felipe. Even though he was tired because of its business, the refreshing news that Felipe received on that day made his fatigue worthy. After meeting with Bernardo, the first person Felipe went to meet was Pablo. It was Pablo who had telephoned Felipe towards the end of his conversation with Bernardo Valenciano. Like Bernardo, Pablo brought news of cases being resolved, chief of which were: the case of Eduardo Rodriguez's murder; and, the case of human trafficking.

The murderers of Eduardo Rodriguez were discovered after a man approached Pablo telling him that he had unintentionally taken a video of a few men murdering Eduardo Rodriguez, while Felipe was in the forest during the "haphazard" operation. He accidentally took the video when he left his camera in recording mode by his window to make a timelapse on the day when the storm began. A few minutes into the video Eduardo Rodriguez was noticeable. He tried calling someone on his mobile phone before being beaten and eventually slain by a gang of men who ran away with Eduardo's wallet and phone after killing him by slitting his throat. The man who approached Pablo didn't initially contact the Police because he was afraid that if he informed the Police that he had a video of the gangsters killing Rodriguez, the gangsters would harm him and his family. That was why he kept silent for a long while until his conscience was bothering him. Finally, deciding that it was the right thing to do, he approached Pablo, who was going by that area to investigate Rodriguez's murder with the video he had.

Felipe met with that man who brought the video, talked with him, and thanked him for help. Felipe also promised the man that the Police would give him and his family security.

After that, Felipe visited the women whom Pablo rescued from being trafficked to the United States, Brazil, and Romania. The women were very grateful to the Police. The relatives and parents of the women made sure to thank Felipe a thousand times, moving Felipe's heart. Just when he returned from meeting those women, another piece of good news came. The gangsters, after realizing that the man had released videos of them to the Police, had tried to approach the man's house. However, the Police officers guarding the man's house kneecapped the gangsters by firing at their kneecaps, before capturing them.

Finally, Felipe went to the hospital where there was more good news. Mendo was out of danger and would be moved out of the emergency ward to the general department in three days. Margalida was also doing well.

"Sir, you called me?" said the peon as he arrived at the door of Felipe's cabin.

Felipe looked up at the peon. "Yes. I would like some coffee with no milk and sugar."

"Is that all you need, sir?" the peon asked.

Felipe said, "Yes." Just when the peon was about to leave Felipe's cabin, he amended his response and said, "Antonio, wait."

"Yes, sir?"

"Call Bernardo Valenciano. Tell him I need him."

"I will, sir."

"Thank you."

The peon left Felipe's cabin. Felipe looked through the files lying on his desk, scanning through the reports he had to read. He was whistling, for he was in a good mood after hearing a lot of positive news that day. His whistling didn't last long. He soon realized the case of the two missing policemen. Felipe's whistling died when he remembered that the two policemen were still missing. He closed the file that he was reading, leaned against the back of his chair, thinking about the policemen. Felipe seemed to have no luck in investigating that case and the case of Rina Aymara and Kantuta Willka. He could have handled the case over to Bernardo Valenciano or Pablo, but something about it made him want to take the case by himself. Solving that case might, he believed, give answers to many other questions the answers of which he sought. The investigation of what happened to the two missing policemen, Felipe believed, was closely tied with the case of Rina Aymara and Kantuta Willka, and that of the old man who showed up on the day before the day Amor was euthanized. Felipe believed that the person behind the murder of the old man, and the kidnap or murder of Rina Aymara and Kantuta Willka was the person who could possibly harm the two policemen. Felipe grew restless as he thought about the case.