Chapter Three: The Jade Cavern

Despite my best efforts, I woke up close to the relic, face to face. Apparently, in my slumber, I must have craved the warmth of the firebugs and it drew me closer to the glowing jar. I studied his features for a moment in the light of the morning sun filtering in through the cavern's opening. They didn't make beings like him in the Sentria Kingdom; his face was nearly flawless, his cheekbones were amazingly high, and he didn't carry the heavy worry of the civilized world in his spirit. I had known his people to be baleful beings, but he had a natural innocence to him that was becoming harder to disbelieve the more time I spent with him.

We left in the early morn in search of breakfast. When he saw me in my armor, the relic had the gall to remark that I should have left it behind, as if a royal Colress would be caught dead outside in just his undergarments. His world is a strange one.

I found a beaver by a stream and made quick work of him, chopping off his head with my sword and skinning him. It wasn't my favorite animal to eat, but I didn't have the finest options at hand and time was of the essence. I made a fire with a bundle of sticks and roasted the creature over the open flame. I offered some to the relic, but he declined. He didn't eat animals which utterly baffled me. What was the point of living in a forest if you couldn't partake in the eating of its creatures? The gods wanted us to hold dominion over those who are lower than us.

We sat under a massive oak tree, shading us from the sun as we ate. I had my roasted beaver and he had loksum berries, which I had always found to be bitter.

"How did you get your magic, relic?" I asked, then took a bite of the animal's meaty thigh.

"I was born in the spring in the Misty Moors under a full moon. That is the time of the Wind Wielders."

"That doesn't make any sense. Just because you were born in the spring and at a certain place doesn't grant you magic powers."

"There was a ritual," he said, then popped a berry in his mouth. "and it takes practice and it depends on the temperament, but our abilities are foretold at birth. I was born with a windstone inside of me and the love of my family brought it to life.  My master trained me in the ways of the wind. He read my heart and has taught me how to harness the wind."

"You're not making any sense." I scratched my chin, utterly perplexed yet intrigued by his words. "What was your home like? Do you have a mother and father?"

"Where has this interest come from all of a sudden?" He grabbed a handful of grass next to him and dropped it in the jar to feed the firebugs.

"I've never met a relic before. I'm only trying to separate truth from fiction. My teachers have said that relic have horns and they spit acid hotter than the sun. I was somewhat disappointed when I saw you."

"I came from a mother and father just like you. All that separates the relics from civilians is our belief in the oneness with all things. Some have horns, others have markings, but our hearts beat the same."

"The color of your eyes separate us as well. They glimmer like starlight." I looked away from him at the white clouds above. I didn't want that to come off like a compliment. It was merely fact.

"That is a gift from Bronte. Your people would shine too if they let the light in. Belief is what creates the stones."

We finished our food and returned back to the Jade Cavern to start our underground journey.

"Do you know the way?" I asked Eldwyn as we stood before the entrance of the tunnel.

"Not at all," he said cheerfully.

"Why don't you consult the wind?" I smirked at him.

"There is no wind underground."

Eldwyn held his jar of firebugs out like a lantern to guide the way. The walls glistened greenly with jade stones, and it cast us both in verdant shades. It was like we were transported to an alternate world. These stones weren't as precious as gold or silver, but with this much of it, that would cease to matter.

"You could make a small fortune acquiring the jade stones from this cavern," I said, marveling at the prism walls. "You could leave your  life of squalor and have something resembling a charmed existence."

"There's more to life than riches, knight," said Eldwyn, glancing my way.

"Not much. There are battles and political influence. Apart from that, not much remains."

"Those vices are hollow. You can be rich in things beyond your vanity and pride."

"I am not vain nor am I prideful. I am noble and I am brave. I have valor."

"You are a boy, like I am, and we have much to learn. You should keep yourself open to other possibilities."

We turned down path after path and it felt like we were going nowhere. This lack of change was daunting and I became agitated after a time. It was like being stuck in the castle during monsoon season or when the Winter storms stayed too long. No matter how much I tried to occupy my mind with my studies and indoor games, it was still the same. The illusion of change was worse than things just staying the same. 

"We can't keep going on like this," I said, looking behind me like some monster was on our trail.

"We are close to something," Eldwyn said assuredly. "I can feel it in my bones."

"All that I feel is frustration. It's not so bad to admit when you're wrong, relic."

"It's not, but I am not wrong."

We turned a corner and at the opening ahead was a brighter green light. We walked through the opening and stood within a well of jade crystals, each one bigger than either of us. They emitted a soft humming sound, like they were communicating with one another vibrationally.

"What is this place?" I asked Eldwyn, peering over the edge down into the depths of the green well.

"The Titans loved jade stones," said Eldwyn. "They were the source of their strength. Many creatures feared them, but they were some of the most peaceful creatures on this plane. Some say that their insides were mostly heart. They'd eat hundreds of pounds of jadestones each day, and so they created this depository for their future generations, but two-hundred years ago, the people of the west came and killed them all. "

I remember this tale of the Stargon Kingdom of the east attacking the fearsome giants. it didn't go the way he told it. 

"The Marbury's of the Stargon Kingdom are noble people," I said, turning back to Eldwyn. "They are true friends to my family and they have never once betrayed us or attacked when it wasn't called for."

"Just because someone hasn't betrayed you, doesn't mean they are incapable of betrayal."

"And you don't know them intimately and yet you judge them as if you do. Perhaps you are guilty as well."

"Perhaps you're right." Eldwyn looked away. "But that still doesn't forgive them of their misdeeds."

"The Marbury's have done great things for this realm. They have provided work and shelter for their people. They have never been known to overtax and it's safe to assume that one day I will be betrothed to one of them."

"Betrothed?" asked Eldwyn, looking puzzled.

I stared at him for a while, surprised that he didn't know such a common word.

"Yes, it means that one day, I will marry a Marbury to secure our reign. It's a privilege and it will be the greatest union in all the realm."

"I understand," said Eldwyn, then walked back inside the passageway. "We should leave now. The Mirror Lake awaits."

I nodded and followed him out of this jade well. I didn't know why, but the harsh grip of guilt wrapped around me, as if it was I who had killed the Titans.