Chapter Thirty-Three: Memories

I was too tired for tears. We were coming to the end of things and I had lost so much. Eldwyn nearly slipped from my fingers, but the fates instead took Brio, my trusted horse who I had just come to love. Had this been another story, one where I didn't have the fate of Askeran weighing on my shoulders, this might have paralyzed me, but heroes do not have that option and knights must carry on.

Eldwyn and I walked up to the black tower, unafraid of the dark energy that emanated off of it. I wanted to tear it down, brick by brick until there was nothing left of it so that all could return to as it was. I opened the door to the tower and entered inside slowly, holding my hand back towards Eldwyn, signaling to for him to stay outside until I made sure it was safe. I looked all around the cold space; there were arched, glassless openings, letting in what little bit of light there was, and a spiraling staircase along the wall that reached to the top of the tower. When I was confident that all was clear, I motioned for Eldwyn to come.

"I don't sense anyone else here," said Eldwyn. "It's only the stairs we have to worry about."

I didn't respond. I only looked up at the middle of the spiral that disappeared into darkness, like an inverted well.

"Let's go," I said, nearly choking on my words, and we started up the stairwell, taking slow and calculating steps. Although Eldwyn confirmed that there wasn't a should here, there could be any number of traps that could do us harm. I still needed to keep my wits about me and I kept my sword drawn in preparation.

We walked for hours in silence, only the echoes of our footsteps filled the stony walls of this high fortress. It felt never-ending, leaving me with just my thoughts—the last thing that I wanted to be left with.

"What are you thinking about?" asked Eldwyn, his voice echoing amongst our footsteps.

"The mission, Eldwyn," I told him gruffly.

"A heaviness is weighing on you," he said.

"It is the weight of the world."

"I wish I could carry it for you."

"It's mine to carry."

Eldwyn grabbed my arm and turned me around.

"Eldwyn, what are you doing?" I asked, looking down into his hazel eyes. He had somehow refused to let the darkness of the tower dim his light.

"You mustn't take on the Oblivion Witch with such a heavy heart," he said, still holding onto my hand.

"What am I supposed to do, Eldwyn? I lost Brio, I almost lost you. Do you know what I'd do if—"

"But you didn't, and even if I had I would've always been with you."

"Eldwyn...I don't want you to ever leave my side." I pulled him close to me and embraced him like I didn't want to let him go. I didn't. He didn't make me weaker, he made me stronger in more ways than one.

"We will win this, knight," said Eldwyn, holding me back. "It has already been written."

We walked back up the stairs and my heart felt lighter. Eldwyn had a way of doing that. I fought against it at first, as is my nature, but like so many things, he was right. For hours we walked and I allowed myself to engage in casual conversation, as if we were back in the woods merely trying to find my horse before the knowledge of fireballs raining from the sky was known to us.

"We need to rest," said Eldwyn, after another hour.

I could hear his labored breathing. It had been hours and it didn't seem like we were any closer to reaching the top. My instinct was to push through and carry on no matter how tired I was, but I knew that I needed to take care of myself and Eldwyn rather than ignore the truth.

"We'll rest for a few minutes," I said, stepping to the side and sitting down with my back against the wall. Eldwyn did the same, resting his head on my shoulder. I smiled faintly and kissed the top of his forehead gently. Although I fancied myself a tough knight, when I was with him he made me want to be gentler.

Memories of my mother came flashing back to me. She spent less time with me when I came of age and I went without her sweetness, but as a young lad, she would sing to me every night in the most beautiful soprano voice I had ever heard. I closed my eyes and recalled the song and sang aloud:

"Remember, young one when you're alone in a cave,
When all the light seems gone,
In the deepest pits, never become a knave,
Even when all has gone wrong.

The light always shines between the cracks,
allowing the flowers to grow,
And in those times when night is at your back,
It's my love that you will always know."

I opened my eyes and Eldwyn looked up at me and asked, "I thought you didn't sing."

"It was a song from my mother, it's called 'The Well'," I said, looking at the weak stream of light from the window on the other side. "We grew apart once my princely duties took over my life, but I have understanding now. She had her own weights on her shoulder and she did the best she could. Her son would be king and much was required of her."

"That's very mature of you," said Eldwyn. "I had to leave my parents in the Misty Moors to do my training in the Village of the Wind. I don't live in the past, but I would be lying if I said that I didn't miss them."

"That's understandable. Sometimes, it feels like all life is a sacrifice."

"That's why it's best to appreciate who we have while we have them."

We got up and ascended the stairs again. It took several more hours, but finally, we saw the end of the tower up ahead. The door to the top of the tower. I turned back to Eldwyn and nodded at him and he nodded back to me. When I stood before it, I stopped and took a deep breath. This was it. Our final stretch before we took on the Oblivion Witch. I exhaled, grabbed the weary, tarnished handle, and opened the door. Danos be with us.