Chapter Nine: Princess Ilya

I stood next to Eldwyn outside the doors of the throne room waiting to meet King Solice after his lunch. Princess Ilya's hidden message remained in my ears; I was not to push too hard, but we needed to leave and fast. The longer we stayed, the greater the danger we faced and I needed to survive for the continued reign of Sentria. I was its only son and without my rise to kingship, the southern realm would be without its future leader.

The guards at the door separated their crossed spears and opened the doors when it was time. Seated at the throne was King Solice and next to him was the Wizard Allaster, smiling as usual without any warmth to note.

"Welcome," said King Solice, his voice echoing to the rafters. "My wizard tells me that you have seen the marketplace. I hope it has impressed you."

"It has, your greatness," I said, bowing to him. This time, Eldwyn saw it coming and we did so in unison. "Your people are most advantageous."

"That they are," he replied.

"The stay here has been more than accommodating, your greatness, and we wouldn't wish to overstay our welcome and waste your resources. I must away to my kingdom, for my parents are waiting on my return."

"Perish the thought!" King Solice forced a laugh. "It has been our pleasure hosting our guests from Sentria. I'd ask you to stay and see all that Cordath has to offer."

"I'd love nothing more, your greatness," I said in a light tone. "We can return in the summer months when the renewed season provides more suitable weather. I'm afraid my southern sensibilities don't fare well in the cold climates that are to come."

"Then you must try our fox fur. It retains heat like no other animal."

"I'm sorry, but I cannot." I was firm, hoping that it wouldn't offend him.

King Solice smacked his lips a few times as if he was tasting something bitter. "And why can't you?"

"As I've said, my family awaits me, your greatness."

"But don't you see this fate that has befallen us?" King Solice stood up and walked down the steps. His crimson cape dragged on the carpet behind him.  "We need to unite our kingdoms so that true peace can be restored. Askeran needs you here, young prince."

"And what would that look like?" I asked. The more I spoke the harder it was to hold my tongue. "This realm where our kingdoms are at peace. Would you be willing to bend the knee to my father for this peace?"

"I met your father Martus in our younger years. We were both princes at the time, but even then I believed he was a good man—unmoving in his beliefs, but good at heart. Our fathers hated one another with a fiery passion and those torches of hate were passed down to us. We've both been to blame for attacks, equally, but all that can shift in following generations. As heir to the southern throne, you are the most valuable person alive and we can set things right." King Solice placed his hand on my shoulder. Each finger adorned with rings with different rubies. "Please, stay here just a little while longer so I can show you who Cordath truly is."

I had no choice but to agree.

We returned to the chamber and Eldwyn sat cross-legged on the bed. His eyes were closed and he was meditating in hopes of reconnecting with the wind.

"Still nothing?" I asked.

"Quiet, impatient Prince," Eldwyn said, barely moving his lips. "I need complete concentration if I hope to hear the winds again."

I opened my mouth to fire something back at him, but I resisted. As I had assumed, King Solice had no intention of releasing us. Royals in the past had been held prisoner for years in towers before. Killing one outright was an inciteful act, but under the label of "guest" one could wait out their demise. These captured royals were used as bargain chips with other kingdoms or to send a message. It all depended on the disposition and aim of the king and I was still coming to understand our situation and the nature of the King of Cordath.

I stood next to the bed, staring at Eldwyn with my hands on my hips not saying a word. After our conversation with the northern king, he was beginning to see past the veil of niceties and into the heart of darkness that beat in this vile kingdom.

"There's nothing," Eldwyn said, opening his eyes. "The wind is too still."

"Danos, give me strength." I threw my head back and looked up at the ceiling.

"Don't despair, knight. As long as there is air in our lungs, the fight continues."

"Sometimes, people are dead while they're alive, relic. I wish I had my armor and sword. I could at least try to fight my way out."

"Violence isn't always the answer."

"I've been nothing but calm here in Cordath. I deserve respect for that."

"On the surface, but inside your emotions rage like the Abandoned Sea."

"Can you blame me? I grew up with stories of Cordath's cruelty. We are in a dragon's lair, not a king's castle." 

Just then, the door opened and Eldwyn and I turned that way. To our relief, it was Princess Ilya's smiling face that greeted us. She wore a long-sleeved white black dress with flowing sleeves and a closed neckline like a celestial from beyond the sky.

Eldwyn got off the bed and the two of us bowed to her. She raised her hand for us to stop.

"Please, there's no need in private." Princess Ilya glided over to us. "I've only come to talk."

"About what, princess?" asked Eldwyn.

"About the vines." Princess Ilya sat on the bed, supporting herself with one hand on the soft mattress. "They are vanishing vines planted by the Wizard of Cordath to ensure that no other magical being can use their abilities here apart from him. He foresaw your arrival in the Ainos Sphere he keeps in his chamber. They don't believe that I know such things, but I read. I have a learned mind and heart to match and those two attributes are too often overlooked."

"What are they planning?" I asked.

"They seek to start a war to become the reigning kingdom in all of Askeran. I do not know their specific plans, but they have every intention of making it brutal and swift. They are gaining strength between all the northern kingdoms and the day is soon upon us."

"But princess," said Eldwyn. "Allaster is a skilled sorcerer. If he has visions of the future, would he not know of your betrayal?"

Princess Ilya smiled and brushed a stray strands of her red hair behind her ear. "Do you want to know the true story of my birth?"

Eldwyn and I nodded slowly yet eagerly.

"My father didn't just kill my mother because she didn't provide him with a son. I was cut out of her due to his impatience. As my mother lay bleeding on the infirmary floor, he raised his blade to kill me too for the prince that I wasn't, but the visiting wizard stopped him from committing the act. He convinced him that I would be the key to his ultimate rule."

"I'm sorry, princess," I said, growing in my anger Eldwyn spoke of. I knew that King Solice was vile, but this darkness was unspeakable.

"Yea, my heart goes out to you," added Eldwyn.

"The closest guarded secret is that Queen Ilya was a relic herself. I am a half-breed, though I don't look like it. She has given me the gift of protection against magical coercion. They cannot read my mind, know my future, or bend me to their will. I may be a prisoner here myself, but I will never be a slave."

Eldwyn and I were speechless at this revelation. She seemed like an average mortal when she was in fact, the north's greatest secret.

"Thank you for imparting this information." I nodded to her and she returned the gesture.

Princess Ilya stood up and clasped her hands together. "There will come a time when you will know to strike. Look for the sign. You must leave here, for you will not survive if you stay."