Chapter Fifteen: Royal Secrets

We had dinner in the Great Hall that night. Eldwyn and I sat at a long table, like the one in Cordath, only the room was dressed in gold and blue: blue banners with their winged golden lions upon them hung from the rafters, gold tablecloths. and every royal had on gold somewhere on their person. Seated to my left was Eldwyn and to my right was the king's eldest son, Prince Lucas. He was known as "the golden boy" because of his blond locks and sunkissed skin. Like a boy made of the sun.

"I'm glad that you're safe and sound, Prince Darren," said Prince Lucas, leaning over to me.

"As am I," I said, after swallowing the delicious turkey meat.

"All of the south was worried ever since we received word you had disappeared in the Old Wood. There were many rumors about you. Some said that a dragon had taken you into the skies and back to their dangerous isles. Others believed that you had been eaten by a bear."

"Thankfully, neither of those were true," I said with a laugh.

"Yes, thank the gods." Lucas leaned over and looked past me at Eldwyn. "And I see you've brought a friend."

"I have, this is Eldwyn."

"O," said Eldwyn with his mouth full of potatoes. "I'm Eldwyn Gamor of the Misty Moors." I thought to correct him, but it was rather humorous.

"Hello." Lucas gave him a genuine smile. "In ancient times, the Stargon Kingdom used relics for warfare. Once I'm made king, I'd like to revisit that policy. Based on Prince Darren's opinion, you must be one of the good ones and I'm sure that there are more."

"How do you define bad?" asked Eldwyn.

"Well...for one thing, I have heard that some commit the unlawful acts of ritual sacrifices. Burning their kinfolk with flames or bludgeoning them with stones."

"And how is this different than the wars that your kingdoms have fought in?" asked Eldwyn with a turn of his head.

Prince Lucas leaned back in his chair in mild offense, and I felt the need to contain the conversation by saying:

"I believe that Eldwyn is saying that we all have our different customs. In the north, I hear that they let a commoner switch roles with their king for a day. Everything seems strange from a distance."

"And some things are strange up close." Prince Lucas looked away and drank wine from his gold goblet.

At the end of dinner, King Marbury stood up and raised his goblet to the noblemen and ladies that were gathered at the tables before us. Most of their faces were familiar, and if not directly, there was a familial familiarity to them. Their generational wealth kept the same men and women of means close to the throne for years. Features would repeat themselves over time as if to remind you that nothing really ever changed when you lived in a castle.

"Hear me, nobles of Stargon," King Marbury said, slurring his words from the excess of drink. "Today, we celebrate the return of High Prince Darren of Sentria. He has had a harrowing time in the north, having been held captive by our enemies in Cordath. Tomorrow morning my council, Prince Darren, and I will hold a meeting about what should be done on the matter. Then the High Prince, accompanied by Captain Marbury and his most trusted knights, will see him back to Sentria to coordinate with his kingdom so that we may be united in our decision. Has your King been made clear?"

The nobles all said, "Yea, King Marbury!" in unison, and he smiled, taking a congratulatory sip of his drink.

"Unacceptable!" hollered a man amongst them. Everyone quieted and searched around for him, then he stood up. I remembered him. This was Lord Kenneth Stokes from the southern region of Stargon, Willbrook. His family had been responsible for producing most of the iron for our soldiers. His land was home to vast deposits from the mines and because of this we've tolerated his pompousness. With a drink in his hand, he was made worse. "How do you expect us to sit here and eat with a relic present at the royal table! I'd sooner have my dog up there than that beast!" He slammed down his mug so hard that it sounded as if the table had broken.

"The relic has saved your High Prince's life," said King Marbury, sobering up in that instant. "Yours is not to question the actions of those who are above you, Lord Stokes, you are to accept it. We have worked with you and your family for ages, but you are not above the law and you are not of royal blood. Speak again, and we will have your hands."

Lord Stokes slowly sat down, as if he wanted to say more, but knew that the king's words weren't idle threats. He was not a forgiving man.

That night, after I changed into my sleeping robes and laid in bed reading from the book Millstone I had requested from the Stargon library. I wasn't much of a reader as I once was in my youth, but Princess Ilya had made it sound so wondrous that I wanted to rekindle those fires.

The first few chapters were quaint and filled with the potential that made for a great story, then the events took off when the girl was thrown through time and she faced great adventure through time. At the quarter point of the book, my mind turned to Eldwyn and I couldn't force him out. I didn't like being apart from him. It was strange, we had just come to know each other, but it had already felt as if we had spent a lifetime in each other's company.

I finished the chapter I was on and went to the balcony, hoping  to see him before I went to sleep.

"Eldwyn," I whispered across to the next balcony. I didn't see any candlelight from his bedroom, but I still held onto hope. "Eldwyn," I said louder, and still nothing. I sighed and turned around to go back inside.

"Prince Darren," Eldwyn whispered.

I turned around and saw the boy dressed in his sleeping robes as well. He looked as if he was sent from haven, like art itself, and I was stunned for a moment before my senses returned to me.

"These robes...they feel wondrous!"

"That's because they are made of satin, Eldwyn. I wanted to wish you a good night."

"May I come over?"

I looked over the balcony at the drop below. We were two stories high, but falling could still lead to broken bones. "Do you think you can make it?"

"There is only one way to know for sure." Eldwyn took a few steps back and so did I to give him space. He ran forward and said, "Bronte, auk em braun!" Wind pushed him up into the air, flying up and over onto my balcony. He lost his balance and I caught him in my arms before we fell.

We both laughed together with our faces near. Then our laughs stopped and we stared into each other's eyes. His hazel circles reminded me of the forest, unknown and enchanted and I wanted to swim in them for an eternity. We pressed our lips together and I felt as if I could have flown into the moonlight at that moment. It was as if nothing else in the world existed save for us. We pulled away and smiled. The moment was magic, but there was a truth that hung in the air between us that still needed to be addressed.

"Eldwyn," I said.

"Yes?"

"I must tell you...I'm betrothed to Prince Lucas."