Chapter Twenty-Three: Finding Roscoe

Eldwyn and I traveled north back to the Gray Road. My new armor fitted me like a dream and my shield fastened to my back didn't add that many more pounds. That night, a kindhearted widow let us spend the night in her cabin and treated us to breakfast. She acted as though we were her kin and I imagined ever so briefly of having a life away from my royal upbringing and how I might have ended up had I had another life. Those thoughts were put away in the light of the morning as we were back on the road just as the sun rose.

Eldwyn told me that his village was a day away and I was curious to see what it would look like. I had been told that relics lived like savages, eating only the foulest creatures, performing ritual sacrifices, and indulging in every vice conceivable, but after coming to know one for myself, I knew that that couldn't have been true. Eldwyn was kind and courteous with a heart so pure. By all accounts, he was a finer fellow than the majority of people who lived behind castle walls.

"The Winding Forest is home to many types of relics," said Eldwyn riding horseback by himself as I walked alongside him. He wanted to learn and we were making good time. "My village of the wind is in the west, water relics are in the south, rock relics in the east, and fire in the north. There are no barriers between us, but we tend to band together so that we may learn our specialties."

"Can you learn how to harness more than one element?" I said, petting Brio's long neck.

"I can't, but others can with the proper training and if they've been granted the blessings of Bronte."

"I think you could learn other elements if you tried." I said breezily, as if it were nothing at all. "You created that ice ball in Cordath."

"That was just a different version of my natural powers." Eldwyn tightened his grip on the reins. "I affect the air and that includes its temperature, but I can't control water or fire or rock. It's not a part of my nature."

Coming down the road toward us was a traveling merchant riding on a donkey and lugging a wagon with a white cover. The white-bearded man looked frantic and sweated profusely in the chilly autumn weather.

"Help me, please!" said the merchant, looking around as if he were talking to specters and not living breathing beings.

"What is it?" I asked. "Out with it."

"My dog, I can't find my dog. Please, you must help!" He finally turned to us. His face looked worn-down from worry.

"Our apologies to you," said I, "but we are on a quest, and time is of the essence—"

"Wait," said Eldwyn, "we can spare some of our resources to help someone in need, can't we? Wouldn't that be considered princely?"

Eldwyn looked down at me with an innocent smirk and I couldn't help but agree with him. He had me trapped. "Fine.  Watch out," I said, and got atop Brio in front of Eldwyn. "Where did you last see your dog?"

"Roscoe went that way," said the merchant pointing northward. "He's a brown brawler, and small for his size. I would search for him, but I can't leave my wagon out in the open. There are marauders on this road and I have to be careful."

"...We will look, but if it takes too long we have to be on our way." 

The man agreed with tearful eyes of thankfulness and we went searching for him.

We journeyed closer to the edge of Balgore. It was nearer to the Duncary Keep, a vassal house occupied by the family Gordon that held longtime fealty with the Marbury's. If we were discovered it could very possibly set us back. We'd have to explain ourselves and they are known for their untrusting nature.

We came to farmlands that had apple trees, a great cornfield, cows, a big red barn, and a windmill in the distance next to a gentle stream. I pulled on the reins and Brio stopped so I could look around for any signs of the dog. The setting was so still that it put me on edge and there was no sign of Roscoe. 

"I don't see him," I said.

"Give it some time, Darren," said Eldwyn, hopeful as ever. "I sense him nearby."

"How can you be sure? You could be sensing one of the cows."

"I'm not sensing a cow."

"How would you know?'

"I know what cows sense like."

"...I don't think you said that right."

We trotted around the farm. I didn't want to cross too deep into their property and add to our problems, so I made sure that we kept our distance. As we walked around the cornfield, I heard a rustling from behind us. I thought it was a wind, but it was drawing closer to us with purpose. I pulled on the reins and turned Brio around as the brown dog dashed out of the field. 

"There he is!" screamed Eldwyn, pointing at Roscoe.

"I see him!" I said, and snapped the reins. We gave chase. "Hold tight, Eldwyn!" I leaned forward, and Eldwyn gripped me tighter. Hooves pounded the ground and we closed in on him, I leaned to the side, holding onto the reins with one hand and reached for him. Right when he was within range, he made a sharp turn and I missed him. 

"Let's try this again" Brio turned and I leaned forward again. This time, we move faster and approach Roscoe again. I reached for him with more vigor. This time, he turned around completely and I lost my balance, falling off Brio rolling into the mud, dirtying my royal garments. I pounded my fist on the ground and grunted in frustration.

"Darren!" Eldwyn took the reins and tried his best to control Brio.

"Stay calm!" I said to Eldwyn getting to my feet, happy that Eldwyn had practiced his riding skills before these turn of events. At the same time, I worried that they wouldn't be enough to manage this.

Eldwyn relaxed his shoulders and directed Brio towards Roscoe. At ten feet away he reached out his hand and closed his eyes and a gust of wind lifted the dog high up in the air, above the nearby apple trees that were spread about the area. I ran over to the spot and dove to catch the dog right before he hit the ground. As I lay on my stomach, out of breath and frustrated, I stared at the dog. He licked my face playfully like this was all a game.

"He likes you," said Eldwyn who came back around on horseback, smiling as if he had just slain a dragon.

"Quiet, Eldwyn" I stand up, holding the dog far away from me. "Let's just get this scoundrel back to its owner."