Chapter Twenty-Nine: Mind Over Matter

Murton took Eldwyn and me out to an open field nearby for training purposes. The tall blades of grass blew in the wind as the relics faced one another teen feet away. I was seated cross-legged on a mound watching them closely. Ever since Eldwyn had mentioned his wind practices I imagined what that would look like. Possessing so much power was beyond my imagination. For the two that stood before me, it was more like breathing. 

"Are you ready, young relic?" asked Murton. They circled each other, their eyes locked together like two swords at a stalemate. There weren't any traces of anger in their eyes. There was only mutual respect.

"I am, Master," replied Eldwyn.

"It has been some time since you've practiced with me. Are you certain of this?" Murton smirked, making circles in the air with his finger.

"My learnings are fresh in mind, Master."

"Good," said Murton, then lifted his hand to his waist and a small whirlwind formed on it.

Eldwyn did the same as him with ease, creating a whirlwind in his hand. Murton held his hand in front of him and moved his wrist all around as the whirlwind danced upon his palm.

"Remember young relic, that everything is about perspective. If it can happen on a small scale, it can happen on larger scales." Murton stopped walking and controlled the whirlwind with both hands, making it grow until it was his height.

Eldwyn did the same, using his hands to control the whirlwind. It grew bigger than the one he had made at the market and he strained as it grew in size, but he was able to maintain it with a bit more effort than Murton had exerted.

"Very good, young one." Murton moved his hands faster and faster until the whirlwind reached the sky. Both Murton and Eldwyn had to move back as it combined with Eldwyn's and grew in strength. They both manipulated the winds to keep it under control, circling their hands around with the direction of the powerful winds. "You've gotten better," said Murton, screaming over the howling winds.

"Thank you, Master." Eldwyn tried to fight off his smile but he was in a losing battle.

"I'm very impressed." Murton let his arms fall to his side and Eldwyn did the same, quelling the whirlwind until it disappeared as if it had never been there in the first place. "But you're keeping something from me. I can sense that you've evolved in a deep way. What power have you encountered since last you left?"

"...It is ice, Master." Eldwyn stared at the grassy ground averting his gaze like it was something to feel guilty about. "When I was in the northern realm I faced off against a dark wizard and I was compelled to create it."

Murton stroked his beard and walked away slowly from Eldwyn. "I'd like to see this ice power."

"I'm sorry, Master, but I cannot." Eldwyn looked up sorrowfully. "It was created in distress and I—"

Eldwyn was blown back by a gust that sent him tumbling across the field. Murton had created it before the young relic could respond. I instinctually stood up, forgetting for a moment that this was a training exercise and Eldwyn wasn't in danger. I still hated seeing him pushed around no matter who was doing it.

"You've done it once before," said Murton, walking towards the fallen boy. "Then you can do it yourself. Don't doubt yourself." Murton sent another blast of wind at Eldwyn, sending him tumbling back even further.

"I can't Master." Eldwyn slowly got to his feet. "I don't have it in me. Only the wind speaks to me. Not ice."

"Do you know what wind is? Wind forms when the sun heats one part of the world differently than another. We tap into this power. There is no such thing as cold, there is only heat and a lack of heat, now show me." Murton sent a blast at Eldwyn's feet and he fell face-first to the ground. I winced at the display, closing one eye and turning away.

Eldwyn pushed himself back and it looked like his anger was beginning to grow. He moved his arms in slow circles, summoning his on wind in response.

"Come then, Eldwyn," said Murton, lifting his arms in preparation for another blast. "Show me—"

Before he finished, Eldwyn's eyes turned blue and an ice ball grew larger between his encircling hands. He looked angry, an expression I didn't often see from him. He bared his teeth like he was an animal set to attack. He took a step forward and threw the ball that created an icy blue trail behind it. Murton waited until the last minute and swatted the ball away as if it was a gnat.

"There, was that difficult?" asked Murton and walked up to Eldwyn, placing both hands on the boy's shoulder. "Your powers reconnected to your emotions. When you were facing off against the dark wizard, you were desperate and angry with the need to escape. It's only natural to be angry and it's what we must use to tap into ourselves."

"I understand, Master," said Eldwyn. His jaw was clenched as all saw him struggle to contain his anger. Sometimes he seemed incapable of such an emotion, but I appreciated seeing it for a change.

That night, there was a festival of dancing in the middle of the village. I asked what the occasion was for, and Eldwyn told me that there wasn't one. Celebration for the sake of celebration was enough to warrant it. I leaned against a house, sipping from my apple drink and watching the festivities. There were drummers seated in a circle that played beats they were making up on the spot and songs that came from their heart and I smiled to myself as I saw them enjoying themselves. My eyes drifted to Eldwyn, who danced all around the area, refusing to be contained. Eventually, he made it back to me, dancing all the way.

"Come, knight," he said, "come dance with me."

"I can't," I said, shaking my head. "The dances I know don't fit with this rhythm."

"It's not about doing it properly, it's about having fun!" 

He grabbed my hands and pulled me into the crowd of relics. I stood still as Eldwyn danced around me and I couldn't stop a smile from growing on my face. He was too adorable, and after a while I gave in. I moved, gingerly to begin with, then I got lost in the music and fun. I wasn't thinking about how I looked or what a high prince was and wasn't supposed to do. I just wanted to have fun with my friend.