Chapter Sixteen: War Room

I went to the war room upon first light and consulted with King Marbury's trusted council about what should be done in regards to the Cordathian matter. The white-curtained windows gave us a view of the northern lands of Stargon, green and wondrous. Two black chandeliers hung on the ceilings that had eight arms like those of spiders holding unlit candles.

On the table was the map of Askeran used for war with little pieces signifying the great houses and the bannermen of the lands. There was the winged lion for Stargon, the griffin for Sentria, the dolphin for Loria, and the goat for Belderaan. For the north, there was a serpent for Cordath, a rodent for Kilgore, and a bear for Rainn. The lower houses, like that of Vilquist and Fox Hall, used shapes to represent them.

 I was thankful for the obligation of attending these meetings; oftentimes, these meetings were tedious and not much got resolved. The master of coin and the friar spent most of the time speaking about kingdom matters than anyone else. Even with a war on the way, I was still sifting through unresolved feelings from last night that refused to desist. After I admitted to my betrothment, Eldwyn returned to his room without many words offered to me. Over breakfast, we exchanged pleasantries, but nothing of note had been said. I didn't know how I felt—or how I should have felt. What I did know was that this war needed to be handled and fast. That seemed a much easier problem to deal with.

At the head of the rectangular wooden table with swirled carvings and winged lions on its perimeter sat King Marbury, and around him were his trusted men: Wilfred Mayer the law advisor, Captain Ral the war advisor, Friar Locke the faith leader,  Rondius Mur the treasurer, Lord Byron Irving the shipmaster, and one of the richest lords of the lands, Lord Alvin Straw. I sat at the opposite end of King Marbury, considering my station, and once the friar commenced the meeting I stood up and recounted our time in the Cardoth Kingdom. I impressed upon them the threat that King Solice had given to our kingdom and that he had made plans to claim the south and take over the entirety of the continent in the name of Cinnai. When I finished, I sat back down and studied the faces around me. They were all varying degrees of indignation which I had expected. Cordath had that effect on southerners.

"Well, this is quite the predicament," said the old Friar Locke. He hadn't a single hair on his face—not even his eyebrows, and he stared with open and unfocused eyes that made him appear as if his mind was always somewhere else.

"We are unafraid," said Wilfred Mayer cockily. He was a well-built man in his late twenties, white with light brown hair and a strong jaw that looked like he could have passed for a knight. "We have fought them before and won. They won't make it past the Summerlands." He was the king's cousin and had the blind pride that came from being born into a noble family without the worry of having to bear the true weight of the crown.

"I think it would be unwise to underestimate them, your grace," said Rondius. He was pale and frail and nervous, as if we had said that the Cordathian army had planned to ransack their gold deposits that very night.

"I concur," said Captain Ral, comfortable amongst the richest men in the realm. "If we underestimate them they could have the advantage of surprise."

"I see," said King Marbury, scratching his chin. "What say you, High Prince Darren?"

Everyone turned to me expectantly and I took a few breaths before answering. "We are strong, but we should not let strength alone guide us. They have the Dark Wizard Allaster at their disposal, and the north stands more united than ever. They will not attack senselessly, they will aim to destroy us completely. We must prepare for a relentless and strategic attack."

"He is right," said King Marbury, knocking his fist on the table three times. "The southern realm is too precious to risk. We will not be so foolish to believe that this will be a seamless campaign. I propose we co-ordinate with the Summerland soldiers, five thousand men to the border of Rainn. A show of power should prevent them from taking any actions against us."

"We have been doing quite well these last few years," said Rondius Mur. "I would urge caution that we don't become overzealous in our efforts. Our bank is full but it is not unlimited. Perhaps we should first come to an understanding. If there's something else we could part with to end the war before it begins it might do us well to take the route of least resistance."

Friar Locke shook his head and said, "I fear that Cordath and those that stand with them are beyond compromise and redemption. I have prayed on it for decades now, and they have only grown more cruel with the passage of time. In this case, war is the only option I'm afraid."

"Yes, it's our only option," said Wilfred, eager to participate. "We must strike hard and fast. I want Cordath and its sinister brethren taken off the board completely."

"And our coin too," said Lord Byron Irving, a round man with a big belly. He was the lord of Irvington and owner of the only west side port in Stargon. "The Irving's have never left the Marbury's side. In all our years and we won't leave you now."

"You have the support of the Heartcrest Castle," Lord Alvin Straw said, known for his long brown beard that nearly touched the floor when he was seated. "I can do the honor of relaying the message to the Summerland forces when I return at next light."

"And I am at the mercy of the crown, King Marbury," Captain Ral said simply and bowed his head.

"That is enough for me," said King Marbury standing up, which prompted everyone else to do the same. "Prince Darren will take our word back to his kingdom and we will decide on our next plan of attack. That will be all."

I left the war room, feeling slightly better with a plan and place, and saw Lucas casually standing in the hall staring at a painting of the Indigo Ocean hung on the wall.

"Hello, High Prince Darren," Prince Lucas said, looking over at me. "How was the meeting?"

"It went well," I said, nodding and we started down the hall. "We have a concise plan of action against the Cordath forces and I know we will come out on top."

"I'm glad to hear of it." Prince Lucas held his hands behind his back. "Before you go, I wanted to ask if you'd accompany me for tea this afternoon."

I thought about it for a moment. I didn't want to be rude, but I wanted to get back to Eldwyn. In spite of the severity of calamity with which we were dealing, Eldwyn lingered in the back of my mind like an infectious ballad. I could only imagine what he was feeling and I wished to mend the broken bridge between us.

"I would like nothing more," I said with a delayed smile. 

"Good, it has been too long. When last we saw each other we were closer to diapers than crowns. Now our destiny waits right around the bend."

"Yes, I don't envy those times."

"Innocent, though. Yes?" he asked.

"Innocent and fleeting," I replied.

"Well, you have always left an impression on me." He leaned in and kissed my cheek. "I cannot wait." Lucas walked away and I stood in place, even more confused than I had been before.