Chapter Thirteen: Great Heights

Out of all the sights in the Summerland region, my favorite was the White Stone Bridge that connected the landThe It was made of pure white stone and sparkled as if it was made of starlight. Below it was a steep drop to the raging Continental River, that thrashed so loudly we could hear it from our great height. The sight was enticing and threatening at the same time.

"This holds a lot of power," said Eldwyn, holding onto my waist as we rode horseback. He had been asleep moments ago, resting his head against my back and snoring lightly. I didn't mind it.

"What does?" I asked.

"These stones. They have healing properties. They are as old as this world itself."

"I'm still aching from the battle with the Wizard Allaster. Will it rid me of my bruises and cuts?"

"If a ritual is performed, most certainly."

We trotted over the bridge slowly. I could sense Eldwyn's nervousness as he holds onto me tighter.

"I won't let you fall, relic," I said, trying not to laugh.

"I don't fear heights, but this is...very high."

I remembered a story I had heard as a child about how Titans had built this bridge after the Dark Era. They were commanded by the God of War because he knew of the wars that he knew the Summerlands and the southern realms would remain connected for all time. As I told this story to Eldwyn, his grip loosened halfway across the bridge. Brio picked up his pace on his own accord, as if he had known Eldwyn's uneasiness, then he slowed down as we came to land.

The Minton Hills weren't particularly difficult to traverse. At first, the road we traveled upon was hilly. It dipped and rose smoothly like a rolling wave. As we went further, the road became more arduous, steeper, and therefore more hazardous. The wagons carrying weapons had to take the long way around with five knights led by Knight Arden to accompany them in case of marauders. We went with the rest of the company over the hills; most of them were small and it at least offered some variety from the seas of green we had endured for the last several hours.

We could see the glistening golden Stargon Castle on the horizon from our vantage point. It wouldn't be much longer until we were safe in its walls and I could fully breathe again. 

As we traversed over the top of one of the hills with a single tree atop it, I heard a low rumble as if the ground was angry. It shook beneath our feet and I held on tighter to the reins. At first, I thought it was an earthquake, but the way the earth was raising in great clumps, I knew it had to be something else. Something more dangerous. The ground around us separated and cracked and our horses stood on their hind legs, neighing and kicking in fear. In the frenzy, Eldwyn and I were thrown off of Brio. 

"Hold on!" I said to Eldwyn, as we rolled down the hill, tumbling in a mess of limbs, screaming  clinged onto anything we could.

I landed next to Eldwyn. I pushed myself to my feet and pulled him up.

"Eldwyn!" I said.

"I'm well," he said, strained.

Eldwyn and I looked up and saw that the top of the hill had separated and there stood a giant land tortoise, at least two hundred years old by the size of it. These animals would eat for years and hibernate in the ground, becoming a part of it. Its shell was covered in grass and it had a single tree atop of it. It roared at us and came barreling down the hill at surprising speed. They wouldn't wake up until years later to feed again. 

"Protect the Prince!" ordered Captain Ral.

"I am fine," I said.

The soldiers got on their horses and prepared for battle with swords drawn and Brio had made it back to us. Two archers fired shot after shot at the land tortoise. Clumps of ground were still falling off of it. The projectiles made direct contact and yet broke when they hit the animal's rough skin.

I had wanted to stay and fight, but my first priority was protecting Eldwyn. 

"We have to go!" I said to Eldwyn, and climbed onto Brio. I held my hand to the Eldwyn, but he stood his ground, staring up at the furious tortoise coming for us. "Eldwyn, let's go!" I repeated myself louder than before

"No." Eldwyn held his hands above his head and the winds whipped around us viciously. The knights looked all around for the source of it, but I knew where it was coming from.

I was worried. Eldwyn was strong, but this tortoise was like the world itself, sturdy and all-powerful. I hadn't a weapon in hand, but I couldn't leave him alone to face it.

"Please..." I begged.

Eldwyn held out his hands and said, "Bronte, auk em braun!" and it created a gust of wind so powerful that it pushed Brio back some. The tortoise roared and dug his feet into the ground halfway down the hill, withstanding Eldwyn's magicks as best it could. After nearly a minute, the tortoise grew tired. I could see it in his weary eyes and shaking knees.

Eldwyn couldn't keep it up anymore and he buckled, falling to one knee,  which stopped the wind. The tortoise came at us again and this time I grabbed Eldwyn and Brio sped out of the way before we were crushed. The tortoise turned back around and angrily stared at Eldwyn as the Stargonian soldiers circled and stabbed at the beast.

I dropped Eldwyn down and compelled Brio closer to the beast. "Tortoise! Come for me!" I saw a broadsword laying on the ground and I leaned to one side, swiping it up, and returned to my seat.

The land tortoise turned its attention to me and came at me with another mighty roar. I kicked my heels against Brio's sides and we galloped away from the tortoise. Brio was fast, faster than he had ever been before. Our bond was stronger than ever, renewed after our time away, but the tortoise covered a lot of ground and was gaining on us. My mighty steed had a relentless fight and wouldn't quit so easily. He dug his hooves into the ground and pushed us further ahead. I positioned myself and stood on top of the saddle with my new blade in hand. I concentrated on his wide face and steadied my breath. Then I struck, jumping off the back of Brio and landing on the tortoise's head, stabbing it in its right eye. He threw its head and I was thrown down to the earth as it shook in pain. 

The tortoise found me again and stomped his way over as I came to my feet. I knew that I wouldn't have time to escape without Brio and I drew my shield for cover. It was badly cracked and all I could do was hope it would take the brunt of the damage. I heard the Stargon soldiers coming toward me, but I knew they wouldn't reach me in time. I peered above my cracked shield as the tortoise closed in. Instead of the impact, a bazaar of falcons had descended upon it, pecking it all over and stopping the tortoise in its tracks. The tortoise huffed and backed up, but the birds wouldn't relent and finally, it had to retreat up the hillside,

"My Prince," said the Captain Ral, as the soldiers came up to me. "Are you all right?"

"I am fine," I replied bravely.

"The land tortoise is a rare delicacy for hawks," Captain Ral said, keeping a close eye on the tortoise. "You must thank the gods for their favor."

"Yes, I must," I said, with hesitation in my voice. I made eye contact with Eldwyn who was walking towards me with a half-smile on his face, as if he knew something that no one else did.