Chapter Nineteen: For the People

It was hard to sleep that night. I kept tossing and turning with thoughts of Eldwyn dancing in my head. He didn't understand the pressure that weighed heavy on my shoulders. It wasn't about my feelings, it was about the entire realm. I would have sacrificed my life and my heart for my people and Eldwyn hadn't known of such a burden. I drowned out my concerns by imagining the war that was to come; all the fighting and death was enough to pull my thoughts away from matters of the heart. I was on the front lines, fighting alongside my fellow knights against the Cordathian army with sword and shield. My father would push against my decision, but I would find some way to escape his grip and find my way to action. 

I woke up to the rumblings of thunder outside. It shook the castle as if a terrible shiver had run up its stony spine. I waited for lightning to flash, but it never did and I rushed to the balcony to learn of its temperament. The sky was blanketed in clouds, blotting the sun just like what I saw in my visions at the Mirror Lake. I peered into the distance and saw nothing. I used the telescope set by the window to get a better look and then I saw it. A black tower that reached up into the sky and disappeared into the dark clouds above. From below I heard the screams of panicked people and I wanted nothing more than to comfort them.

My thoughts turned to Eldwyn and I left and ran to his chambers. When I arrived he was nowhere to be found. I stopped there and thought for a moment; there wasn't a guard outside of his door. Royals and guests of royals always had to have an armed guard for their protection. Something was amiss. I Iwent down the first floor to search the chapel when I saw a crowd of commoners gathered by the throne room and I went towards it. I had to push my way through them to get to the door. Five guards stood outside of the doors, keeping them back and yelling at them to calm down.

"I am Prince Darren," I said to the guards at the door. "Allow me entrance at once."

The guards recognized me and opened the door for me and me alone. Twenty people stood inside Stargon's throne room. Royals, bannermen, and dignitaries. Steps led up to the throne, putting the king on a higher level then everyone else, on the side of the steps stood two lion statues, laying in repose. King Marbury sat on his throne and looked relaxed, as if a tower hadn't just sprouted up from nowhere. I understood the reassurance that came from hiding fear, but this act was so convincing that it was unnerving.

Next to King Marbury was Wilfred Mayer, who stood still on the stage and tried calming everyone's fears with his soothing voice.

"It is necessary that we remain in charge of our emotions," Wilfred said, pushing down on the air with his hands. "I have advised King Marbury to send out a company of knights led by Captain Ral to learn about this black tower. They are already underway on this mission and we should have word on their findings in due time. We believe it's magick in origin and likely nefarious. We cannot be certain until we have all the information, but we must make critical decisions to prevent any threats to our realm. Extra guards stationed at the gates and an increase in our armory will be implemented as soon as feasible."

The people in the room shouted questions at Wilfred as soon as he finished. It was an indiscernible clamor until King Marbury stood up and stopped it with a commanding look that only someone with real power could use.

"Your fair share of questions and that's understandable," said King Marbury, "but we mustn't react before we know the truth of it. We will take in the facts and react accordingly. So says I."

Everyone agreed with the king and quieted. I saw my opening and I took it, approaching him with respect. "King Marbury," I said, "have you seen my relic, Eldwyn? He wasn't in his chambers and I am worried." I did my best not to sound desperate, and if I did, I hoped that it would be hidden under the general stress of the moment.

"Yes," he replied, "we've had to hold him in our dungeons."

"The dungeons?!" I yelled, unable to restrain myself.

"Yes. It's not the way I would have wanted it, but we had to be sure that he hasn't played a part in this. He is a relic after all."

I shook my head. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "Eldwyn is harmless. I have told you of his good deeds and that he has saved my life. That should account for everything."

"And we are appreciative of this, but as High Prince, you know that the wellbeing of your people is our first priority. Once we know without the shadow of a doubt that he is not responsible for this tower, he will be free to leave. Until then, he will remain under lock and key. So says I."

My fists clenched and I wanted to give him more of my thoughts, but I knew that that wouldn't solve anything. This was his kingdom and I am not yet king myself. I turned around and left the throne room in a huff. I didn't know what I was going to do, but I had to do something. I had to see Eldwyn.

I pushed my way back out and stood outside of the room and left the castle, unsure of what to do next. I wanted to find a sword and slash my way to Eldwyn, freeing him from the clutches of this well-meaning king, but these situations had to be handled with care. Diplomacy. I felt powerless again, like I had been in Cordath, only this was worse somehow. I thought we were safe. I got too comfortable forgetting that even my kingdom's allies had their own sides I couldn't see.

"Prince Darren," said Prince Lucas from behind me. 

I turned around, unable to hide my frown. "Prince Lucas. You must talk to your father. Eldwyn is no criminal and he is not to blame for this."

"I am sorry, but in this matter I'm powerless." Prince Lucas held onto my shaking shoulders. "Never you worry. Once Captain Ral returns with news of the tower, all of this will be settled. I promise you."

"I can't wait that long." I pulled away and walked away from him. "This isn't right. He has to be accused of a crime and there has been no direct connection between him and the tower."

"He is a relic and for my father and that is truth enough." He grabbed my shoulder and turned me around. "It doesn't serve you to worry about such things. He is treated well. He will have food and a place to sleep. No harm will come to him. Now, come with me. Breakfast will take your mind off of these terrible events and we can discuss our reign." 

He held out his hand and I paused a moment before I took hold of it. I knew that breakfast wouldn't help, but it was all that I could do. I  walked back inside the castle in defeat. I wasn't giving up just yet. I was biding my time.