chapter nineteen

☆

☆.。.:* Family   .。.:*☆

The knock revibrated through her, the nervousness began kicking in. Beads of sweat began to form on her forehead even though the cool morning breeze swept past them. Her hand was still clasped with Ginny's, giving her a side look, the girl was merely trying to peer inside the house through the little gaps of the grey blinds. The door swung open, there stood a little girl. Her blonde hair in adorable little pigtails. She wore a soft pink dress that complimented her fair complexion and dark brown eyes. Hermione stared at the girl, stunned. Beside her, Ginny's eyes had gone wide.

"I-I think we've got the wrong house," Hermione said plainly, looking back at the house's exterior. Well aware that this was her house. It wasn't too long ago that she'd left. Could her parents have moved out so soon? Had wanted nothing to do with her anymore and simply left.

A soft purr sounded behind the little girl, ghostly steeps as a ginger cat approached. The girl lifted the cat, carrying it in her arms.

"Crookshanks," Hermione exclaimed, petting the soft tussle of fur on his head. The girl beamed up at Hermione, the cat almost covering most of her.

"Mum!" The little girl called- her voice shrill and small, like a delicate whistle. Hermione looked up in anticipation. She didn't know how to react to the girl in front of her cradling her cat. Hermione's immediate thought was that they had family over, perhaps the girl was a distant relative. However, when her own mother walked in- with a confused look on her face, Hermione felt her heart crack at the realization. Mrs. Granger's eyes grew, the towel she'd been wiping her hands with, fell onto the ground with a soft thump.

"Celia, go upstairs to your room, mummy needs to talk to your sister," Mrs. Granger said to the small girl. The words not escaping Hermione's attention- sister. The little girl was her sister. Hermione took a step back, evaluating the new information that was given to her. Ginny squeezed her hand in comfort, Hermione had forgotten she was there. Shaking her head slightly, she introduced Ginny, then turned to see a pale-faced Harry and a red-faced Ron.

Hermione sat inside the small grey living room, beautiful paintings lined the walls, along with family portraits with her. Still up on display. Her parents sat on the sofa in front of her, rambling about the mess in the house- about how they weren't expecting company. Her friends remained outside in the patio, Celia was also present, not wanting to go to her bedroom. She instead opted to show Ginny the small flowers blooming in the gardens.

Hermione was still taken back when she asked, "A sister?"

Mr. and Mrs. Granger only looked at one another for a moment.

"Yes," The woman said softly, "When you were gone, your father and I felt the house had gone rather empty. We missed you, we missed having someone to care for."

Hermione understands what that must've felt like, what it must've been for them. Losing the people you cared about, Hermione missed them so terribly, but she truly never expected them to adopt another daughter.